alesis m-eq230

rynomig

i just purchased this and went against the dealers recommendation to buy a behringer eq. I wanted to know if this unit with old technology is better than a behr with new technology? i'll be using it for both live and recording.

Graphic EQs have very little use for recording purposes. It'll serve its purpose live though...

Keep in mind, though - it's a cheap EQ... don't expect much!

Blue Bear Sound said:
Graphic EQs have very little use for recording purposes.

I remember when I first started recording I had a DOD Eq in my rack.. I used the stupid thing just because it was there. It did more harm than good but I just had to incorporate it in my recordings because it existed...

Graphic EQ's don't see much use in the studio (as Bruce said), but they are good when it comes to narrowing down frequencies that won't get heard. Examples would be sidechain EQ'ing a compressor for de-essing, and EQ'ing drum mics that are going to be used for triggering sound modules. In other words, when you wanna boost a narrow frequency range and cut all other frequencies across the range....which can't be easily done with parametrics.

Also, in the examples I describe, the quality of the EQ is of secondary interest so a DOD or Alesis would do fine.

Interesting sidebar - I noticed that API has reissued a graphic eq that was used in the channel strips of one of their vintage consoles. I guess that some people found a use for them in recording!
However, it's logical that the advantages of a parametric eq is preferable in more applications. And, I'm sure the API unit is a little better than the Alesis or DOD versions ;)

Terry

Stefan Elmblad said:
. In other words, when you wanna boost a narrow frequency range and cut all other frequencies across the range....which can't be easily done with parametrics.
Sure it can - with Q control and bandwidth selection, not to mention shelving!

Stefan Elmblad said:
Also, in the examples I describe, the quality of the EQ is of secondary interest so a DOD or Alesis would do fine.
Very true!

Blue Bear Sound said:
Sure it can - with Q control and bandwidth selection, not to mention shelving!

Yes, sure it can be done... with a reasonable good parametric. But some cheaper parametrics down the line can't, while all 15+ band graphic can regardless of quality, which is why I went for the IMO careful "can't be easily done" phrase. Maybe I should have written "can't be easily done by all parametrics".

My post wasn't meant to contradict yours, just merely fill in some gaps I thought was missing in the thread.

Stefan Elmblad said:
Yes, sure it can be done... with a reasonable good parametric. But some cheaper parametrics down the line can't, while all 15+ band graphic can regardless of quality, which is why I went for the IMO careful "can't be easily done" phrase. Maybe I should have written "can't be easily done by all parametrics".

My post wasn't meant to contradict yours, just merely fill in some gaps I thought was missing in the thread.
I know... I was just clarifying the methods as well!

Back