Alesis ION- Opinions?

tedluk

Found a good price on Alesis Ion, but wondering if it's worth adding to the arsenal. I have a good selection of boards already- Supernova II and a Darkstar XPII for analog, KARMA, JV1010, Motif Rack, Proteus 2500, Kawai K2000R, softsynths, etc.

I've looked at them in the store and have never been able to understand the interface, but I'm sure it's simple once you know how it works.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has one.

My style is more oriented towards prog and fusion- I'm a 70's guy!

Ted

Atterion

Actually the ION is a pretty good attempt for analog modelling. Loads of control. Pretty solid feeling overall. Keys felt a little fragile, during knuckle slides, but I think you'd have to bang those keys pretty friggin hard to break one. As far as whether or not you need one, It's hard to judge that. I personally like the sounds of the supernova over the ION, but when you strip most of the supernova sounds of their effects, they seem pretty lame, which isn't the case with the ION. With effects or without, it sounds good (A credit to Alesis engineering and architecture). It definitely doesn't run with it's big brother the Andromeda, but for about 1/4 the price, what would you expect. Hey if the price is right, get it!!!

Atterion

Oh and no I don't own one. My good friends guitarist has one, and I got to check it out for a week (That, and his Novation A-Station). I'll probably, eventually get one. Microwave XT is next on my list, but with Waldorf in insolvency they're getting hard to comeby, and I can forget the Q+ ever coming down in price now. Bummer!!!