Alesis HD recording vs Computer recording...

Mip

I posted this in the alesis forum as well, but thought it might get a better response here.

I'm planning a studio at the moment, and i've been leaning towards a computer setup, but this morning I found the Alesis HD24, and I noticed it's cheaper than other Hard Disk recording units. In general, is Hard disk recording better quality, easier to use and possibly cheaper?

Does the Alesis HD24 have something like an insert for an effects processor (alesis nanoverb) or do I have to run - eg/ guitar to effects proc. to HD24?
I noticed the HD24 has 24 I/O. Does this mean that every input is for every output (if you know what I mean)? Or does two outputs (for left and right) play back the whole lot in stereo?
Do you need a mixer, or can you plug straight into the HD24?
Because it has the easy removable hard disk bays, can I put the drive straight into a computer for mastering, eliminating the need for an expensive soundcard?
Is 24 tracks plenty? Has anybody ever found 24 tracks to be too little?
It says it can sync with ADATS. When I can afford it and if I need to, could I sync it with another Alesis HD24 to give me 48 tracks?

Also for mastering I was thinking about the Alesis Masterlink. Is it's CD drive replaceable? Is it's hard drive replaceable? Is it a really good piece of equipment, or are there other units out there that are better and maybe even cheaper?

Thanks in advance!!

Back