Alesis AM51 vs MXL V67 on Vocals ?

JoelEric26

Anyone compared the two of these on vocals?

I've got the Alesis and for the most part I have been pleased with it. It can be a little brittle at times but that may be the fault of the engineer (that being me) instead of the mic. I have seen the rave reviews for the Marshall on this bulletin board.

The Alesis seems to be a nicer mic (they were around $500 when they first came out but dropped to around $200 before they were discontinued), it has a bass roll-off switch, and a pad. The Marshall has neither, but it seems to have something that has people raving about it.

I've got a Neumann KM84i that I use on acoustic instruments so my Alesis (or potentially the V67) is strictly going to be a vocal workhorse for me. Both are running through an Event EZbus prior to going into my computer.

Is the Marshall everything people say, or just a great entry level condenser similiar to what I already have ?

Would my money be better spent on a new mic pre instead of another mic? (RNMP, Joe Meek, etc.)

Thanks,
Joel

Hi Joel, I have both the Alesis and a V67g. I recorded the Alesis, V67G, Studio Projects B1 and Studio Projects C1 through the direct outs of the Soundcraft M-series. The alesis was bright and clear. The V67G and C1 have a warmer sound. The B1 was bright and clear, not brittle at all. the B1 was about 3 DB hotter that all of them. For vocals, I preferred the V67 over the B1 and Alesis. But C1 had the best sound for vocals. For your next purchase, I recommed buying a good tube pre-amp like the VTB-1 as that will warm up your Alesis and make it sound like a tube mic (just my opinion though). Better yet, get a C1 or V67. The V67 is a little cheaper but the C1 comes with a shockmount.

Good luck to you.

Back