Akg Perception 400

dennyc765

Like so many people I need a mic that will serve "multi purposes" until I get money to specialize. I see from the "mic poll" that the ATT 4040 does very well and this was recommended to me by friends especially when I mentioned that I will be recording a lot of vibraphone/percussion (transient attacks). Also need good vocal recordings.

What would be the advantages/disadvantages of AKG 400 and ATT4040 for these two type of recordings?

I've read in site here that the ATT4040 is "sometimes lacking highs". I guess opinions are varied on subjective questions.
thanks.

dennyc765

Like so many people I need a mic that will serve "multi purposes" until I get money to specialize. I see from the "mic poll" that the ATT 4040 does very well and this was recommended to me by friends especially when I mentioned that I will be recording a lot of vibraphone/percussion (transient attacks). Also need good vocal recordings.

What would be the advantages/disadvantages of AKG 400 and ATT4040 for these two type of recordings?

I've read in site here that the ATT4040 is "sometimes lacking highs". I guess opinions are varied on subjective questions.
thanks.

dennyc765

I've been using the Perception 200 for about a year now (same as the 400 w/o omni & figure 8), and like it, for the most part. It's performed extremely well on all sorts of percussion. It's usually what I reach for first for non-kit percussion. It even did okay on kick.

The only thing is ...it's not silky-smooth - it sounds kinda "stark" - it's almost bright. I like it for up-front-in-your-face vocals, but not so much for any other type.

I also have the perception 200. That mic is the same as the 400, except the 400 has multiple patterns for even more flexibility. Even with the 200, I have come up with great sounds across the board. Especially happy about the price I paid for it.

go with the AKG?

Sounds like two strong votes for the AKG! Perhaps I SHOULD consider the 200 model if I don't need the other patterns, since that's the only difference.

thanks for the advice. Anyone else out there used the ATT4040?

dennyc765

thanks.

Despite having a slight bump in the top register, I still find myself boosting highs in the 4k to 6k range when using it as a vocal mic. On the plus side is that it exhibits a smooth top end, unlike many of the inexpensive mics I've used. I prefer the AT4033 over the 4040, and find that it has more detail and seems somewhat brighter.

My one complaint about using the perception 200 for an all around mic is how it seems to handle sound off/on axis. For each application, you will have to tinker a bit to get it in a sweet spot, but once you're there, it usually sounds good.

Back