AKG Perception 220 Noise

Cinege42

I seem to always have some kind of problem :)

I have a used AKG Perception 220 and it is noisy as hell. I've tried everything, tried the on board switches (bass-cut filter and -20dB attenuator), tried playing with the gain and levels on my mixer, on the computer, nothing eliminates the noise, and the microphone itself is a lot less sensitive (I mean it's quieter) than I thought it would be. With the exact same mixer's same channel, same setting on my interface and everything, my Behringer C-2s (also condenser mics, but small) are working perfectly. They're as loud as they should be, and totally clean and noiseless (I know that there is no such thing as a noiseless microphone, but I mean compared to the Perception).

What could this be? Is my microphone broken somehow? :(

I've got a 220 and it is not noisy and plenty sensitive. As arcaxis asks, what are you plugging into? The noise is most likely coming from your preamp because you have the gain cranked up. What level are you recording at (dB on your DAW's meters)?

For F Sake ALL you would be recordists!

BUY a ten quid digital multimeter form Maplin or a $10 one from Radshak or whatever the local electronics hobby shop is near you!!

How the H you expect to keep on top of leads and batteries etc without the wherewithal to measure them beats me rigid.

Dave.

I got me a multimeter FREE at Harbor Freight! :) But I would have no idea what to measure/look for on a mic.

I got me a multimeter FREE at Harbor Freight! :) But I would have no idea what to measure/look for on a mic.
First check the mic, female end of the XLR. You should get 48 V + or - about 4V from pins 2 and 3 to pin 1. If that is ok remove the shell from whichever end of the lead is easiest and check again with the mic plugged in . Should get from 24 to 30volts but I will check the current consumption of the 220 and get back at ya.

Right, the 220 pulls about 2mA so that means the terminal voltage will be around 42V.
Dave.

Arcaxis,
Can your wife run a DAW, set up mics, leads and make recordings? I do not criticize her if she cannot, better things to do no doubt! But, anyone who CAN work out the above can surely learn to use a testmeter for the simple checks I outlined.

I do not believe any "modern" human that can pass a driving test, read and write, follow a recipe (or knitting pattern!) is incapable of understanding Ohms Law (tis only "MPG" FCS!) or the simple circuits used for mic and line connections.

Anyway, one thing is for sure. If you don't GET a DMM you will NEVER learn how to use one!

I do agree about the sticky in principle but, like FAQs I think stickies are largely a waste of space. And yes, buy a decent meter!

Dave.

Back