AKG Perception 200

mm2k5

Has anyone ever used this microphone? Is it good for the price? Also, It will be used mainly for like hard rock/blues (it's hard to explain, haha), and maybe even some radio voice over stuff in the near future. Thanks

I've recently had a chance to use one quite a bit. I'm doing some consulting for an old buddy who is learning to home track his first CD, and all his guide tracks were done with a perception 200. When I listen to it, it sounds like a Chinese FET condenser, which it is. The midrange is a little hyped, but not real harsh. It reminds me of Studio Projects C-3, which I used to own. It's a fair acoustic guitar mic for a good guitar, too much detail for a cheap axe. It probably would be a pretty good rap/hiphop mic, they seem to like less colored mics. For a real blues/rocker, I tend to reach for something with less detail and more color, say Shure SM7B with the midrange boost on, or Rode NTK. IMHO, anything perception 200 can do, a C414 will do better, but the 414 isn't a $200 mic, either.-Richie

Well, dang Thanks for your input, it does mean a lot. Right now the best vocal I am using is the Shure SM58 but it doesnt really do much for me. I love it on stage but its just..meh...in the studio....

Any more ideas? thanks!!

I've used one for rap vocals... I wasn't overly impressed. I mean it did the job on rap but I would'nt put it up for a rock/blues song. I'd reccomend an ADK Hamburg or a Shure KSM27 depending on the voice in that price range.

Of course this is just one mans opinion. Take it as that.

Will

The Shure KSM27 and 7B both seem to have really good reviews....as did the 200 but ya know..haha...does anyone have any samples of these....maybe in singing or just plain talking..once again thanks for the help guys. I guess sometimes you do get what you pay for.

thanks for that clip...i really like the sound of that microphone! Does is have bass roll-off and everything too? Does anyone have more singing with this...thanks again willz

Back