AKG P220 problem

mjbphotos

Can't find my original thread on this mic....

I got this mic on ebay around 2013 for $90, so I've already got my money's worth out of it! Some time along the way, the boom stand it was on tilted over and the mic hit something, and the ceramic (?) piece that holds the capsule broke. I was able to glue that back together (the wires to the capsule were not damaged). A year+ ago, I noticed that I would get some crackling from this mic after it had been plugged in (with phantom power) for a while. It was suggested it could be moisture, so I got some desiccant packs, popped them and the mic into a ziploc and it seemed to work - for a while. When the crackling started I would unplug the mic, put it back in the bag. The desiccant packs are not saturated (they change color) and I hadn't tried the mic in a while, pulled it out, plugged it in, and within half an hour it was crackling again. Granted, the air was fairly humid here at the time.
Any suggestions? Is the mic just 'toast' at this point?

Hmmm....does sound like a humidity problem. So...everyone...tell me if this is a STUPID test.

Leave the mic in the desiccant pack for a decent amount of time. Take the mic out and immediatly wrap it in plastic wrap (you know...the kind you use to seal foods). Seal the mic VERY tightly....right down to the 3 pin connector and further if possible. Then....plug it in and wait to see. If it doesn't crackle (at least for a long time) you have your answer.

Ok....is that STUPID? Was wondering if anyone thinks the mic could be damaged in any way by doing that?

My solutions to problems are ALL affected by my early band years with weed and...etc.

Mick

Can't find my original thread on this mic....

I got this mic on ebay around 2013 for $90, so I've already got my money's worth out of it! Some time along the way, the boom stand it was on tilted over and the mic hit something, and the ceramic (?) piece that holds the capsule broke. I was able to glue that back together (the wires to the capsule were not damaged). A year+ ago, I noticed that I would get some crackling from this mic after it had been plugged in (with phantom power) for a while.
I doubt it's Humidity - sounds like a problem with the ceramic disk - as the microphone heats up maybe the disk seperate - you could try and get a replacement part from AKG - or buy another one used - as it will probably cost the same what with labor and all.

Back