AKG no goody?

Wolfman140

After looking through a large # of threads so far...Hardly does anyone mention the name of either Shure nor AKG....And if they ARE mentioned it's usually Shure. Just wondering what everyone's opinion on AKG was...At first I was thinking about going gung-ho AKG happy but it seems people hate their C1000s, and say the C3000 isn't any good really either....saying that they both are too high-end-happy. Everyone let me know their opinion please, thanks!

-Kevin

I typed out a nice long response and then accidentally deleted it, but the gist of it was three things:

1) Just because it says Shure or AKG does not automatically make it good.
2) Just because it doesn't say Shure or AKG does not automatically make it not good.
3) There are lots of good inexpensive mics from companies like Audio Technica, RODE, Oktava, Beyer, Blue, CAD, GT, and even MXL and Studio Projects. The caveat is that you shouldn't go looking for an inexpensive mic with the sole purpose of finding one that sounds like an expensive mic. A Marshall won't sound like a Neumann, period. It may exhibit some similar tonal qualities, but its not going to sound the same. However, most every mic (of course there are some exceptions) will have their place on some sources, so you should take these mics for what they are, not what some people would have them aspire to be.

Oh yeah, plenty of people around here like the SM57, C414B ULS, and D112. Quite a bit, I might add.

yeah I read ya on the different mic tastes. Besides reading up on it, how does anyone know what a mic sounds like before you buy it? Just because the advertising says this so-and-so mic sounds warmer than the other...how are you really going to tell before blowing hundreds on a mic you may not even like the sound of? Is it unheard of to go to a store and request some way to hear it through a board or something? Shank-ya.

Kevin

PS Yeah unfortunately I just bought a C1000...I haven't tried it out yet cuz my board is coming in a couple of days. I hear it picks up highs TOO well and lows not enough..So I guess I'll try miking the fretboard/neck of a guitar with the C1000 to get the highs and try maybe a 57 on the soundhole to get the lows.

Akg

I got an AKG D790 and it was a great upgrade from using 'standard' vocal mics. Less low hum when singing softly or too close, and good and clear in the high range. From what quite a few gear junkies have told me, is that the D790 is a really good alternative to the SM58, but the cartridge is shockmounted in the body so you get less handling noise when you grab it or use it off the mic stand. I'm quite happy with it. Oh... less feedback so far, too. And when it does feedback, it's generally less harsh than before.

I should do a feedback test between D790's and SM58's....

I've got an old D12. I love it. I haven't used many other kick mics to be honest but I love the vintage look of it as well as the sound. :)

Plus, it was the first "proper" mic I got so I'm rather attached to it.

Actually the C1000 and C3000 aren't bad mics, just a little harsh in the highs and not very versatile.

The biggest problem though is that the mics are much too expensive for the quality they offer, iow, you can buy a better mic for less money these days.

Bruce is right, AKG used to make great mics a long time ago, the old C451's are great and I love the ancient D12.

I use AKG mics extensively, and some Shure's as well. My impressions of the ones I'm most familiar with-

AKG

D112- Fair on kick, rocks on bass cabs and stand up bass. surprisingly good as a vocal mic on some voices.
D690/D770- Very good dynamic instrument mics. Good on brass, harmonica, snare, cabs, live vocals on some voices.
D320/330 series- very good all purpose dynamic. very good live vocal mic.
C2000B-great cheap versatile workhorse- fair on vox, acoustic, rocks as overhead pair, toms, conga, Djembe, etc. A little colored, in a good way.
C414B-ULS- Great on acoustic, mandolin, toms, snare, fair on strings, very good on a minority of vocalists. Possibly the most versatile condenser I own.
C451-good all purpose small diaphragm condenser. very good on overhead, acoustic.
C1000S- good nightstick
C3000B- good fishing lure
C535-great live vocal mic

SHURE

SM57/58- classic stage mic, good on snare, cabs, sax, some vocals
SM7/7B- Great dynamic- good on almost anything, especially voiceovers, a *great* live stage mic for smaller venues.
KSM44- industry standard mid priced multipattern multipurpose condenser, also a surpriseingly good live acoustic guitar mic, often used on TV soundstages.
SM81- good overhead, good on guitar, also an industry standard for live soundstages
SM-82- a line level broadcast mic with a bit of a cult following. One of the best acoustic mics I've ever used.
PG series-Radio Shack by any other name-Richie

Try your C-1000 on snare or toms. They do well there. Also on guitar amps. The C-3000 is decent on floor toms. I wouldn't rush out and buy either of these but if you all ready have 'em laying around the house, they can work for you in the right application. I love D-112's and of course the venerable D-12. If you had a locker full of 414's I don't think anyone would concider you crippled.

Wolfman140 said:
yeah I read ya on the different mic tastes. Besides reading up on it, how does anyone know what a mic sounds like before you buy it? Just because the advertising says this so-and-so mic sounds warmer than the other...how are you really going to tell before blowing hundreds on a mic you may not even like the sound of? Is it unheard of to go to a store and request some way to hear it through a board or something? Shank-ya.

Someone, Harvey I think it was, made a thread about auditioning mics at a store. See if you can find it using the search, or if he might be kind enough to re-post it. But to answer, yes, people do audition mics at stores before buying, especially when the store has a lame "no-return" policy for mics.

Adam P said:
Someone, Harvey I think it was, made a thread about auditioning mics at a store. See if you can find it using the search, or if he might be kind enough to re-post it. But to answer, yes, people do audition mics at stores before buying, especially when the store has a lame "no-return" policy for mics.
The link and the essence of Harvey's thoughts are now posted at the end of the big mic thread (the first sticky on this forum.)

AKG got some great mic for vocal used!

Great quality
less noise
good compress
and frequency range!
C 4000 B
super good
Dual Digrham
loud db avaliable: -20 pad
low frequency ability as good as D112 (even better)
avaliable to use to a lot of type of recording
: recording for narrow direction, Caroid, and Wide
can be use for drums, piano, guitar, vocal
all in professional quality!!!!!!!!!
i used it for a year, and i still love it, the only AKG i don't feel regret so far!!!: D: D :cool:

Back