AKG K240 mii or Audio Technica ATH m40x (for low budget audio interface)

Pressuridion

DJ, Producer, Raver since the late 90s
Hello guys
New here, first post and need for your knowledge and opinion.
I ve been strangling for months on which headphones should i buy for my mini home studio. At first i was going for the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro. But then i realized (after searching and suggestions) that my very low budget audio interface (u-phoria umc22, yeah...i know now) can't get full advance and the quality of headphones such as the DTs. So till i go for a better interface (much later since my current is still like new) i m between the AKG K240 mk ii and Audio Technica ATH M-40x. I know the M-40x are much better but i m still wondering if the semi open back of AKG will be a better option. Many ppl saying how much better the results are with open back headphones. Does it matter with a low budget audio interface? Does the AKG make the difference or should i go for the M-40x? I m on electronic music production and I also won't have problems with an open back headphones since I won't use mics.
Thank you in advance

I wouldn't worry too much about the interface not being good enough for the headphones. It's more important that you pick headphones that have a good balance, and let you judge what is going on. Open back isn't necessarily better than sealed headphones. There are good designs of both types.

I've got the K240s and I like the overall sound, but they aren't the most revealing headphones. The AKGs are relatively cheap, and I find them very good for relaxed listening. I've also got Sony 7506s that are better for hearing detail, but they can be on the bright side. If I use those for making EQ adjustments, things sound too dull.

If you go with the DT770s, you probably don't want to go with the 250 ohm model, as it would require a fair amount of power to hit a decent sound level. The 32 or 80 ohm model would be easier to drive. I haven't heard the ATH M40s so I can't really comment on them.

If possible, the best option would be to audition them.

Rich mentioned the only real absolute headphone advice - check the impedance. Other than that we're talking about quite basic things, and then the rest is the usual internet subjective stuff that's kind of 'flavour', but never to be relied on.

I spent some time years back in a hifi shop where we had a headphone section. Dozens of headphones all plugged in, on hangers and you could put them on and then quickly swap to others playing the same CD. You could assess them very simply. It was really easy to sort the first question. Open back or closed back. Open back sounded, well, more 'open' - but it also threw up another issue - how they work on your own ears. Clearly, the large DT100 style headphones go over your ears, so seal properly and clamp your head. Only you can say how much. The ones that sat on your ears like the HD25 Sennheiser were really closed back headphones designed to go on top of your ears, making a sort of half way house headphone. Some people loved them, some hated them, and they even became a sort of broadcast hit when the outside broadcast people took to them in a big way.

Other than that design everything else perches on your ears, some more securely that others.

What is absolutely certain is that they all sound different - so you choose for listening the headphones that sound nicest to you - ones you can wear for a long time without getting tired. If you are choosing headphones for making mix choices, do you really want ones that flatter your music? What about those people with less good systems? If I must mix on headphones, I go to DT100s - which are not remotely the nicest sounding headphones, but their sound is pretty revealing and the isolation helpful. They can manage deep bass in a neutral way, and any EQ decisions you make on those generally just sound a touch bright compared to the mixes I do on speakers.

Headphones perched on your tiny or huge ears also move, and as with microphones, the bass response changes. You can demonstrate this one by playing a track and then opening your jaws really wide. This usually moves the headphone enough that the bass changes. Not remotely a good system.

You mention the M-40X headphones that you know are much better? I hope you mean you listened to them. Compare headphones to microphones. Say SM58 and we all know what they sound like (or should do) and we know condensers sound different. None of this works with headphones. They're too personal, too different. I spotted yesterday a pair of headphones in the studio. I don't remember buying them. Big open back Sennheisers. Would I mix with them? Only if I could spend a few hours wearing them, comparing them to my speakers. If I was starting out with no speakers for comparison, where would my baseline be? What would I be making decisions against? That is the issue.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about the interface not being good enough for the headphones. It's more important that you pick headphones that have a good balance, and let you judge what is going on. Open back isn't necessarily better than sealed headphones. There are good designs of both types.

I've got the K240s and I like the overall sound, but they aren't the most revealing headphones. The AKGs are relatively cheap, and I find them very good for relaxed listening. I've also got Sony 7506s that are better for hearing detail, but they can be on the bright side. If I use those for making EQ adjustments, things sound too dull.

If you go with the DT770s, you probably don't want to go with the 250 ohm model, as it would require a fair amount of power to hit a decent sound level. The 32 or 80 ohm model would be easier to drive. I haven't heard the ATH M40s so I can't really comment on them.

If possible, the best option would be to audition them.
thank you very much for you answer and suggestion. You are right and these are my thoughts too after long web searching and asking. I will probably go for the Audio Technica and not the AKG. The option of K240 mii's semi open back won't overcome the better quality of the ATH M40X. I feel that i will work, be satisfied with these great headphones and my low quality interface. I will have to learn, practice and manage with this sound system and when if i get better and my needs/level ask for better quality then i will go for better interface and headphones :) Yes the 32 ohm is what everybody suggested me but i think i won't go for the superior and more expensive DT's yet. Audition would be great if i could test them through my interface, which is not possible of course :(

Rich mentioned the only real absolute headphone advice - check the impedance. Other than that we're talking about quite basic things, and then the rest is the usual internet subjective stuff that's kind of 'flavour', but never to be relied on.

I spent some time years back in a hifi shop where we had a headphone section. Dozens of headphones all plugged in, on hangers and you could put them on and then quickly swap to others playing the same CD. You could assess them very simply. It was really easy to sort the first question. Open back or closed back. Open back sounded, well, more 'open' - but it also threw up another issue - how they work on your own ears. Clearly, the large DT100 style headphones go over your ears, so seal properly and clamp your head. Only you can say how much. The ones that sat on your ears like the HD25 Sennheiser were really closed back headphones designed to go on top of your ears, making a sort of half way house headphone. Some people loved them, some hated them, and they even became a sort of broadcast hit when the outside broadcast people took to them in a big way.

Other than that design everything else perches on your ears, some more securely that others.

What is absolutely certain is that they all sound different - so you choose for listening the headphones that sound nicest to you - ones you can wear for a long time without getting tired. If you are choosing headphones for making mix choices, do you really want ones that flatter your music? What about those people with less good systems? If I must mix on headphones, I go to DT100s - which are not remotely the nicest sounding headphones, but their sound is pretty revealing and the isolation helpful. They can manage deep bass in a neutral way, and any EQ decisions you make on those generally just sound a touch bright compared to the mixes I do on speakers.

Headphones perched on your tiny or huge ears also move, and as with microphones, the bass response changes. You can demonstrate this one by playing a track and then opening your jaws really wide. This usually moves the headphone enough that the bass changes. Not remotely a good system.

You mention the M-40X headphones that you know are much better? I hope you mean you listened to them. Compare headphones to microphones. Say SM58 and we all know what they sound like (or should do) and we know condensers sound different. None of this works with headphones. They're too personal, too different. I spotted yesterday a pair of headphones in the studio. I don't remember buying them. Big open back Sennheisers. Would I mix with them? Only if I could spend a few hours wearing them, comparing them to my speakers. If I was starting out with no speakers for comparison, where would my baseline be? What would I be making decisions against? That is the issue.
thank you very much for you answer and suggestion. You are right too. Its all about personal hearing style comforts needs wallet ets. I understand that there is nothing as a fact or something that everyone agree that this is good, bad, best, worst. I agree and with you and your opinion really helps me on my search and confusions. As say to Rich I will probably go for the Audio Technica. The option of K240 mii's semi open back won't overcome the better quality of the ATH M40X and i can afford to this price. Even if this decision may not the best, if feel that i will be satisfied with these great headphones combined with my low quality interface. I will hear much better quality than before, that's for sure. Unfortunately i can't test headphone (especially with the covid situation) and if i could it won't really be the same since i can't test them through my interface which is a huge option for my decision. Maybe later, if i get to a better level and understanding, i may go for better interface and headphones.

I use IEMs on stage. Shure 215s, so not mega expensive. I have three pairs, but bought some better quality 425's and absolutely hate them. Really unpleasant sound. The 215s run out of steam with low bass - on paper the 425s don't - they just sound horrible!

Back