AKG drum mics

kingofallkings

hi all, i've been lookin for some drum mics and someone recomended an AKG set consisting of a D112 2 C1000's and 4 C418's. does anyone have any opinions on these mics or any alternative suggestions. i'm quite new to recording so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx

D112s are good if you like alot of click. Not very versatile in my opinion but they are nice. Also consider Sennheiser e602, AT ATM 25 Pro, Shure Beta 52, EV RE20, Sennheiser MD421. Different sounding, some versatile, some just as colored but in different ways.

Ditch the C1000s. Expensive condensors compared to the quality. Consider MXL603s or Oktava MC012s. Or something a little higher in price range. Theres a few but i dont know your budget and these will run up quite high with options.

Im guessing you want to use the C418s for snare and 3 toms? These do alright on high toms. I have C408s which are similiar but not exactly the same. I dont use them much for toms. At least not over the Sennheiser e604s. But they do have a more open sound then the e604s because they are condenser type. I wouldnt use it on snare though. Probably way too bright in my opinion. I use them occasionally live though on snare because they are easy to clip on and cut through the mix well. I would go with the e604s though. But there are plenty of options and its really hard to decide what to get with these.

Floor tom definately needs something that can handle the low frequencies a little better. You could even get another bass drum mic for the floor tom. Alot of people love the D112 for floor tom, also the Beta 52. Sennheiser e602 works alright but its a little too boomy in the low end for this in my opinion. I use an MD421 in most situations though.

And probably just a good old SM57 on snare.

Danny

The D112 rocks!!! As with any microphone, placement is crucial...I've never had a bad problem w/ click on the D112. Just work the sound out through the phones before you press the red button. If you have too much click, position the capsule away from the beater, and more towards the shell, or try outside the head...

I'd suggest Shure SM81's for overheads....I love 'em, never will ever give them up!!!

I agree w/ darnold....SM57 on the snare for sure!!! Better mics are available, but not for the ease of use and durability...

Back