Akg D112

bullyhill

From what I've been reading hear it seems the d112 is the mic . I'm Planning on buy to mic my bass drum. Just wanted to confirm that for the price this would be my best bet.
I've searched for prices and found it at zz for 199.00, Has any one found it cheaper?
Also if you all could give me your feelings on this mic's versatility?
Thanks

bullyhill said:

Also if you all could give me your feelings on this mic's versatility?
Thanks

If you like the way it sounds on kick (and i do, some don't) then get it. Best way to tell what YOU will like would be to get ahold of a few different kick mics and do a shootout in your own studio.

As far as versatility, I wouldn't use an AKG D112 on anything except kick, although some people say it works on Bass cabinets. (I almost always record electric bass through a DI, so I wouldn't know). I'm sure someone out there will insist it sounds great on nose flute or contrabassoon, but I'm betting there are better choices. So as far as versatility, I'm betting no. But why would you need versatility in a kick drum mic? Let it do what it does well.

Brad:

given it's size and weight (sort of like a small sledge-hammer) i'd say you are definitely into a scene i'd just as soon avoid...

bullyhill said:

I've searched for prices and found it at zz for 199.00, Has any one found it cheaper?

Well, the local music shops in Canada have it for around $215 Canadian, which is like $12.00 USD, so I'd say that's signifcantly cheaper.
It's probably the least versatile mic in existence. Its built-in EQ is so drastic it works on basically nothing except kick, and in some cases, a bass cab. Keep in mind it will transform any kick drum into the same generic "click/thud" sound every time. This could be good or bad depending on what you're going for. It definately is NOT natural sounding.

I've done side by side comparison with D-112's and ATM-25's. I prefered the D-112 by far. I've also used it on guitar cabs with great success as well as an acoustic stand up bass.

Ya know Track I may just save the grief for someone else and just get the 112. I don't even know anyone who has kick mics I could borrow and I have already had problems in the past with trying to return a mic unless it's broken.
Thanks

Most on line stores take the stuff back within 30 days. I've never had a problem with that. As for that D112. If you are using it for paying customers it's the best bang for the buck. A quality sound. But keep in mind it will be the same sound all the time. About the same price I like the sennheiser 602. I've used it for Rock, jazz, folk. I can get a lot of different "colors" from that mic. And I've been drummer longer than I care to admit too.

bullyhill,

what kind of music will you be recording with the d112?
what kind of kick sound do you like?
the d112 may be versatile enough to be used on other sound sources, but i don't find it versatile at all when it comes to bass drums. maybe i'm biased because i don't that mic at all. :)
what's you budget, by the way? you could a few mics for the price of one d112.

Punk some ska sounding stuff but not ska,
sounds like NoFx, Propagandhi.
That is with the band which is my first concern, on my own I guess more rock, blues.
It won't be for paying customers, I can barely handle myself , still learning.
Budget is tight 200.
Thanks

with a little over 200 you can get an atpro25 and a pair of mxl 603 or you can get a atpro25 and a mxl v67 so you can mic the bassdrum with both. that would give you a killer kick sound.
you can also get an atm25 and a pair of behringer ecm8000s (for a stereo pair) for 200.

I guess I would be getting the atpro25 and a mxl v67.

I haven't heard these mics, any of them, Do others on the forum like this combo?

How or what differences, positive or negative would be obvious using the above vs a single akg d112.

I have a 57,58,2 x mc012.

i always use two mics when recording bass drum. you can get a good sound with only one mic, but it will be like a bidimensional to a tridimensional sound, so to speak.
you place the dynamic mic inside the bass drum, then you place the condensor outside the drum at least one foot away. it helps if you build a funnel over extending in front of the bass drum with a blanket or a rug. it avoids leakage of the rest of the drum sounds on the condensor.

also, you'd be getting a v67, which is a great vocal mic, and you can use it on other sources too, like acoustic guitar, and clean electric guitar sounds, which i always do.

Back