AKG D112 vs Audix D6

DrummChris

Greetings,

Has anyone A/B'd these two mics? I've narrowed my purchase choice down to these two creatures from past live and recording experience with the D112 and reading reviews and descriptions of the D6. I'm looking for a punchy sound with lots of bottom and little to no eq required.

The winning mic will live in a Yamaha Rock Tour Custom 22" bass drum. It will be used for both live and home studio recording. I will have it "perma mounted" via a May system or another internal mounting scheme.

Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Signed,
Torn between two mics

I own two D-112's and have used the Audix mics ONE TIME so you can take it for what it's worth. I didn't like the sound I was getting out of the Audix mics at all. Granted, on a different day with different drums I may have had different results.

I don't own a D112 so I don't have a direct comparison, but FWIW the Audix D6 is a great mic. I've never liked the D112 (I've used it in the past). It always sounded like a bouncing basketball to me. The D6 has a strong low end, a nice high frequence snap, and a mid-range scoop to it. Right out of the box with no EQ it the kick drum sounds like a kick drum. I absolutely love it!

I favor a heavy kick that doesn't get in the way, but establishes a strong foundation in concert with the bass. (e.g. fat 70s RnB kick). Others use the kick drum in different ways and their mic selection may dictate otherwise. You can't really lose here. The D112 is very popular and is almost as ubiquitous as the SM57 is to snare. However, the D6 is a great kick mic designed with a strong kick in mind. It just depends on what you want to do with the kick.

Thanks Rev, I understand the bouncing basketball analogy. I'm seeking just what you're describing as the D6, "strong low end, a nice high frequence snap, and a mid-range scoop." I'm hesitant and looking to get advice because the D6 is fairly new and I haven't been exposed to it yet. Also, I don't want to go with the tried and true D112 if the D6 is better. Oh, and I can't afford to get both. :)

Question... How do you have the mic (D6) positioned most often? As in, inside the drum, six inches away from the batter head, pointed just away from the beater?

Thanks again.

At the time it just sounded anemic and no matter where I put it. Like I said, I've only used them once, on a different kit it could've been a different story.

DrummChris said:
Question... How do you have the mic (D6) positioned most often? As in, inside the drum, six inches away from the batter head, pointed just away from the beater?

I've tried it a few different ways. Currently, I use it about 8-10 inches from the beater, pointed slightly off center to the beater contact spot. The D6 can really take a beating as far as spls go. I’ve tried it close (~4 inches) almost directly on the beater, it took it just fine. Closer up, you get a more chesty sound... some proximity, but the high end seems to be more snappy. Sounds almost compressed up close. Back a bit further, you capture more of the weighty thump (what I like most).

Our drummers hit hard and the kick is muffled (somewhat) with light pillows. The kit is a Pearl Masters series. Great sound. Great mic. You really can’t go wrong with the D6 is you want to capture the weight of the kick and not the “bounce” that is so common to the D112.

I've used the D112 a number of times and I also have been disturbed by the bouncing basetball sound (some people really like that sound, I don't).
The D6 IS a great mic! It is what the Beta 52 wishes it was. It gives you a full and round heavy tone and it responds well to different placements . My favorite kick mic is the ATM25 tho. It has plenty of bottom to it and it also has a lot of top which means you can tailor it real easy.
My opinion of the AKG D112 changed radically this past week end. I was at a recording session in a project studio and there was a sound engineer there (hired for the day) who has a GREAT set of ears (he's also a drummer) and he positioned the D112 on the outside of my resonator head not pointing towards the sound hole (There is a 5" diameter sound hole on my resonator head at about 4:30 and he positioned the mic at about 3:00) Well the sound was wonderful, round, heavy, with plenty of attack. I think that all of the times that people have used that mic for me in the past, they just put it in the wrong place. I have always regarded the D112 as a great kick mic, but not for the sound that I was looking for. Now I'm beginning to realze that with the D112 is is even more critical where you place it.The D112 is a chameleon, it CAN be many different kick drum mics.
I personally think that the D112 would be bad for you if you are going to use it mounted inside the kick drum (you'll get that bouncing basketball sound) I would suggest using the D6. If I were a studio owner though, I would get te D112 because it is a very versatile mic that can sound different depending on where you place it. It doesn't impart a specific personality to the tone, it's just that most people place it inside the the kick and aim that hyper-cardioid pattern at the beater and......bouncing basketball.

Last edited:
Wow, lots of good information. Thanks to all! :cool:

I just picked up a used Alesis 12R to be the preamp/mixer for my [soon to be] amassing drum mic collection. It has 8 XLR inputs. I only have immediate plans for six but the extra room for growth is nice to have. The preamps seem nice and quiet.

This is what my future mic arsonal is currently looking like in my mind...

Kick - Audix D6 or AKG D112 (With the D6 winning slightly)
Snare - Shure SM57 or Audix D1
Toms - Shure SM57(s) or Audix D2(s)
Overheads (pair) - Oktava MC012(s) or Marshall 2001(s)

The kit will be used mainly for live and home studio projects. Music styles include Rock/Pop/Funk but jazz/fusion on occasion.

Thoughts?

DrummChris said:
This is what my future mic arsonal is currently looking like in my mind...

Kick - Audix D6 or AKG D112 (With the D6 winning slightly)
Snare - Shure SM57 or Audix D1
Toms - Shure SM57(s) or Audix D2(s)
Overheads (pair) - Oktava MC012(s) or Marshall 2001(s)

...Thoughts?

Chris,

It looks good for a basic starter deal. You should also consider the Marshal (MXL) 603 for overhead. I've never used it, but some say it's a great choice, though a bit on the bright side.

You should also consider the Audix D4 for toms. It's got a bit more low frequency extension and would make for a "deeper" tom experience. Otherwise the D2s should be just fine. The good thing about your choices is that you won't likely want to throw those mics away if you upgrade. You may want a "different" color, but you certainly have a set of very useable mics that you should be using for a long time.

If I were you, I would consider getting a Soundcraft E-series mixer. The E8 might do you well. These things are very inexpensive, but have more quality mic pres than that Alesis mixer. Given your selection of mics, your next logical step would be to upgrade those mic pres. Just an FYI.

DrummChris said:
Thanks Rev, any thoughts on the snare mic?

Personally, I've never used the Audix D1 on snare. If it sounds good to you go for it. One thing is for sure, the SM57 has been and is still (after all these years) a workhorse on snare. There are other good snare mics, but there is rarely a day when an sm57 does not sound good on snare. Plus the 57 will work will on other instruments (guitar cabs, some vocals, leslie organ, etc.). Given limited money (choice), I would go with the sm57. There are simply more uses out of it than the D1. Think also about cross-usage of your mics (other instruments other than drums).

MarkoPolo said:
I second what REV E said,
For the price the 57 is a work horse with many uses you cant go wrong.

I third (third?) what REV E said - the SM-57 won't let you down. You can also use it on guitar amps and certain vocals. Great bang for the buck.

Granted all mics have a personality but don't get too caught up in it. The drums themselves and how they're played are going to have MUCH greater impact on what's recording. The 604's are fine mics as would be 57's on toms. I like AKG-C-1000's on
toms but out of what I've tried, that's what I like.

Back