AKG D1000 E Mic: Harvey, Anybody?

tdukex

Man of the Muse
I found an old AKG D1000 E mic in my dad's warehouse. It was made in Austria. I think it's a dynamic--looks like it was made in the 50's - 60's. It has an aluminum casing, and it's about 6" long, 1" dia. It also has a three-way switch on the bottom with the options: B M S.

Anybody heard of this mic?

I'll reward you with praise.

I've got 3 of them - I'm no mic expert (I'm trying to learn a bit as a matter of fact) but here's what I've learned so far:

-they were a competitor to the Shure SM-57's years a go

-the 3 settings are various degrees of bass-cut - I think they stood for Bass (no cut) Music (slight cut) and Speaker (more cut, intended for a speaker at a podium)

-on the "B" setting, on a guitar amp, they sound quite similar to an SM-57 judging by the playback from my Tascam 424 4-track machine.

-a guitarist buddy of mine told me they were quite popular in the 70's, but were not quite as robust as the more expensive SM57 & SM58, which he maintains were nearly indestructible, and therefore better suited to Roger Daltry-style mic swinging!

Cb

Thanks for the input, recording brothers C_flat and Tonewoods. You guys came through for me. I'll give it a try on my dad's clarinet next time I visit him for a recording session.

Back