AKG cheap, any good????

genesisariana

I just got a display case (but never used) AKG perception 150 sdc for $40. I know they are discontinuing this mic, but is it any good? What is it good at capturing? Did I get a good deal, or should I take it back?

I think for $40 its a hell of a mic! For the original price? Who knows.

The budget AKG stuff was getting fairly good reviews for mics of that price range. I wonder why they are discontinuing that line? Then again, I've seen a drop in output in general of the Chinese mics.

Maybe crap is called crap again.

That is what I wanted to know, does anyone use one? It is all over the web for $130 and the msrp is $190. They said they were blowing it out because they only had one, and wernt getting any more, since its discontinued. And they didnt have the box and it had sat in the display case for over a year. I am going to try it out over the weekend. I just couldnt pass it up, too good of a deal even if it is a crappy mic. I will find some use for it.

well worth the $40... the lower end AKG's tend to be alittle harsh on the high end... just check out some of the earlier versions... c1000/2000/3000... i've got 3 1000's and a 3000 around here and find them workable but like most mics ya gotta learn their peculiarities...

Actually, the Perception sounds like a lot of Chinese-made but outcountry designed and quality controlled mics, such as Studio Projects or earlier Rode offerings, which ain't bad, at that price. Try rhe Perception on acoustic guitar...Hell, try two. Good luck-Richie

wow, $40 bucks is a good deal. i use the akg perception 150 on almost every recording i've made in my home studio since i got it. i use it for overheads and accoustic guitar and some guitar amp micing. i think its an excelent mic but the shock mount is a piece of crap. try it on accoustic guitar, it sounds amazing

Back