AKG C414 B-ULS / B-TLII comparison for my needs

BeBop

Any one with experience with these mics (and I'm sure there are) that could steer me toward on or the other.

I will record through an ART pro MPA into a VS1680.

Mostly recording acoustic instruments, vibes, marimba, orchestra bells, crotales, frame drums, small percussion.....

I love the sound of ECM records from the 80's...warm and full. I love the sound of tubes...I don't plan on recording anything harsh (mic'd gutar amps, screaming vocals.....)

I'll want a pair to do stereo micing of the vibes and marimba...

Any thoughts of what would suit my needs best on these two beauties??

BeBop

I probably shouldn't even be answering this post, since I'm not a big fan of the newer 414s, but if I had to choose, I would go with the TL-II. I find the ULS to be too harsh for my needs.

According to AKG, the ULS is oriented towards instruments while the TL II has "vintage" characteristics that make it more of a vocal mic. I know when we did a shoot out some months back, the TL II (we didn't have a ULS) was awful on acoustic guitar. The U87, C1 and AKG C3000 were far nicer on the night.

:cool:

I have compared both C414s and like Harvey, I would recommend the C414B-TL-II as the nicer sounding microphone. However, before you buy those, I would check out the AKG C 4000 B condensers if I were you. This is a much warmer sounding microphone than either of the C414s [to my ears]. It has a lot of soul to the sound. I too, love the ECM recordings and have been a big fan since the when the label began. Let us know what you find out?:)

Back