AKG C3000B or Octava MC319??? Help Please

You should do a search my friend on this subject. It's been covered extensivly. After that if you have questions, come on' back. I have both mics.

AKG C3000B or Octava MC319?

Yeah Trackrat,
I've read a lot of the postings, and unfortunately I'm no more the wiser. We don't, to the best of my knowledge, have a 'Sound Room' outlet in the UK. (Import costs are prohibitive!) so I'm not sure where to turn there.
Basically on a straight comparison I need to know what's best between the AKG and the Octava. I know its possibly a difficult thing to do a straight comparison but if you were pushed???
I'll be using the mic mainly for vocals, acoustic guitar and possibly miked up valve amp (guitar).

I see what you mean. Well, I prefer the Octava for vocals most of the time over the AKG but for acoustic guitar the AKG would sound better ( more air). In the same price range, take a look at an AT-4033. It's a decent workhorse mic.

Frankly I never understood why anyone would walk into the store and even consider walking out with an oktava microphone. I'll never buy one (again). The AKG 3000B sounds pretty good for the price. Just don't drop it too many times, I did that already. The AT-4033 also sounds good. One mic that surprised me was the Audio Technica AT-3525. I only bought it coz I liked the look of it. I wasn't ever intent on using it. Then I got bored one day and tested a whole bunch of condenser mics to see which ones suit my voice best... Now I use the 3525 on the majority of my vocal tracks.

If you buy an Octava at any of the "Guitar Mart" stores, you're taking a chance but they're fantastic mics when you get a good one. Like I said, I have a 319 and a pair of MC-012s that I'd never get rid of. As far as dropping ANY microphone, they're a very POOR substitute for a hammer so don't drop them.

AKG C3000B or Octava MC319?

Guys,
What are you doing to me?
Following the principle that you have nothing bad to say about the AKG C3000B but you have conflicting views on the Octava, it seems the AKG is the way to go.
Unless of course you know of someone who is selling Neuman's for £10.00 each. Ha ha.
Jonboy

Re: AKG C3000B or Octava MC319?

Jonboy said:
Guys,
What are you doing to me?
Following the principle that you have nothing bad to say about the AKG C3000B but you have conflicting views on the Octava, it seems the AKG is the way to go.
Unless of course you know of someone who is selling Neuman's for £10.00 each. Ha ha.
Jonboy
Most of the new AKG mics seem to have an exagerated top end, which sounds "crisp", "airy", "detailed", etc., when you first get them. After a while those terms change to "edgy", "harsh", "spitty", etc.

The 319 is a smoother mic, and I think you'll find it useful for a lot of things you'll be doing. At least, that's what I've found.

Harvey Gerst
ITR Studio
www.ITRstudio.com

Back