AKG C3000B or AT 4033

Neptune

I'm looking for a great quality condenser mic to record acoustic guitar, celtic harp, autoharp, bamboo flute, etc. I have an AKG C3000, but the C3000B is suppose to be noticable better. If I'm going to spend money on another mic, should I just go with the AT 4033, since it's about the same price??

I have owned and recorded acoustic guitar with both of these mikes, and they seemed just about equal to me in every respect. I think I would say that I liked the natural (un-EQ'd)tone of the AKG a little better, but I know that the AT is widely regarded as a superior all-around mike.
For the instruments you are recording, you may wish to check out the Earthworks mikes. The QTC1 is VERY transparent (but $$). The SR71 is about 90% as transparent, but with a pleasant increase in bass with proximity effect, and you can find them for < $300 ! Very superior for guitar, in my experience, (which is not great, but very specific).

http://www.earthwks.com

Peace,
Rick

i've got both the C3000 and the 4033 and my experience is that they're both very similar. i don't have any experience with the C3000B, though.

i usually use two mics when i record acoustic in one of two configurations:

1) a SD mic (AKG 460B) on the neck pointed a bit towards the Hole and my 4033/C3000/NT1 underneath pointing towards the bridge just peaking over the top. this combo really sound great. i use the NT1 if i want it a bit brighter.

2) a cardiod (NT1/4033/C3000) and a AT4050 (figure of 8) in a MS (mic-side) configuration. i point these at the neck a bit towards the hole. this really sounds much more silky and articulate but not harsh. i like this best for backing and padding. this method really leaves a lot of room for other stuff, but sounds great on it's own.

if you you've been recording in Mono, these two methods really open up the sound.

with the C3000 in hand, i'd recommend getting the 4050 if you can afford it (even if you can't). the multipattern AT4050 will give a lot more options, and it's a great vocal mic to boot.

-kp-

NOTE ON EARTHWORKS PRICES:

I downloaded this from the Earthworks Company Store. You have to call for what's available, because it changes. As you can see, the SR71 and others are actually less than $300 if you are willing to live with cosmetic defects. I can attest that the SR71 is much closer to the QTC1 in sound that an AT-4033.

Also, Location Sound, in L.A. was clearing out some SR71s new for $270, which is where I got mine. I also bought one of the "blem" QTC1 pairs from the company store, and am completely happy so far.

Items for Sale as of Aug 16, 2000 Model: Qty: Retail Price: Your Price:
M30 6 $500 ea. $350 ea. refurbished and demo
SR69 6 $350 ea. $250 ea. mis-matched blue/green finish
SR69 12 $350 ea. $275 ea. cosmetic blemish
SR71 3 $450 ea. $375 ea. refurbished
SRO 8 $350 ea. $275 ea. cosmetic blems
Z30X 6 $800 ea. $550 ea. refurbished
QTC1mp 1 $2000 ea. $1600 ea. refurbished
QTC1 3 $950 ea. $700 ea. refurbished

Good Luck,
Rick

SPEAKING OF BRUTALLY REALISTIC....

Funny story:
Someone came and knocked on my studio door (my spare bedroom) while I was recording. I have listened to that recording half a dozen times or so; and every time I hear the knock, I still get up and answer the door, before I realize that "its just on the recording" !
Once or twice might have been understandable, but by now, you would think that I had learned my lesson. But the knock is so realistic that my brain says "get up and answer the door" before I can override it with logic.
(and I forgot to mention that I am a moron !)

Peace,
Rick

I had to laugh at that story, Axis. I've done the same thing with a tape I was making when my telephone rang.

Indeed

I've not heard the SR71 but given to Earthwork's reputation, I'm sure it's a very nice mic for the price. With that said, however, for a mic which A LOT of versetility as Neptune's requirements do, it's damn hard to beat the versetility vs. quality vs. price of the Oktava MC-012s from The Sound Room only.

Back