Akg C214

Vadim

AKG made more affordable version of C414, it doesn't have pattern switching, but seems to be less noisy..

anyone know how much different is it from C414? review?

(I had C414 before, I liked it.
I'm thinking of buying this one, or are there any better ones in this price range for VOCAL?)

Good questions, I'd also like to know.

However, everybody keeps tell me not to bother with anything in the C 414 line, unless you can get an EB Capsule.

The C214 does have my attention though..... I'm thinking drum overheads...

Personally, I like the C414 more for instruments than for vocals. At least I find it more consistently usable for instruments than for vocals. It can work really well with the right voice, but I don't seem to come accross that voice very often. Admittedly, I haven't tried all the assorted permutations of this mic (and there's a lot of them), but that's been my general experience with the versions I have tried. I'm assuming this qualification will apply to the C214 as well.

Ideally, and particularly if you want it for vocals, you should try it out and see if it works for you. Drum overheads? Hell yes.:D

I've got a C414B-ULS (later than the EB), that is great all around -- with me also it's usually not the preferred mic for vocals, but it's awesome for small percussion instruments and other things, and if I have a situation where I'm not sure what to do, (e.g., recording ambient sounds, like rain, my 1 year old running around the room with a harmonica, etc.), it's invariably what I use.

I just looked and jeez, these things are still a bit pricey. At the prices listed on the web (I assume you can do a bit better then MAP if you call), I'd simply buy a used C414 if I really wanted one. Used C414s run @ $500-600 or so. What is the actual street price for a C214?

Here's a C414eb for sale currently on the GS board:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gearslutz-secondhand-gear-classifieds/283372-fs-akg-414eb.html

For vocals, I'd first buy an SM7 if I didn't already have one. Then maybe look at an AT4050, a used AT-4060 or a used Gefell MT71s. Lots of choices in that price bracket and I'm sure others can name their favorites.

Last edited:
There's a plethora (been dyin to use that word) of current and discontinued C414 models out there with different capsules and electronics. The C414EB is one of them as is the C414B-ULS and the C414B-XLS and the C414B-XLII, among others. They do sound different and each seems to have its own advocates. I've mostly used the B-ULS model which is now discontinued. The C414EB was an earlier model that originally had the famous brass CK-12 capsule that was also used by the AKG C-12 mic. That's the mic and capsule people refer to when they talk about having a C414 with the EB or CK-12 capsule. Of course, you would now pay a very stiff premium for a C414EB with a brass CK-12 capsule. I've never had the opportunity to use one, and I expect I might even revise my opinion of the mic if I did, but I wouldn't count on being able to land one. So, realistically, you will be dealing with the more modern discontinued and current models if you are looking to pick one up.

For a brief history of the mic go here:

http://www.saturn-sound.com/Curio's/story of the akg c414.htm

I saw the VP of marketing for AKG a couple days ago, they were out traveling showing their new products. Basically the 414 without all the pickup patterns, although he did mention something about a slightly different bass response.

All the variations really frustrate me.

When I first was told of the AKG C414 mic, a friend told me

"You got to get this mic, because it sounds good on everything, and it's really flat. It's the go-to mic when you don't know what else to use".

So when I stating looking into getting one, I discoverd the confusing mess of model numbers' everywhere. I don't know why but it pisses me off.

Ok AKG -- I want to buy one..... which bloody model am I supposed to buy ????

EB / XLS / BULS / etc. etc. etc.

Forget it..... I'll go with the Audio Technica 4050.

I know what I am getting, and they don't add 3 or 4 confusing letters to the end of the model name.

Back