AKG C2000B, any comments???

Jacobi1211

well everyone, just looking for any opinions on the AKG C2000B... I just got a pretty good deal on two of them. $160 for (1) AKG C2000B and (1) pair of AKG K-44 headphones... so I bought two packages. I am thinking about using them as drum overheads... anyone used them??? I'll recieve them in a couple days, and will abruptly let you know how it goes... Thanks a lot!!!

Jacob

They'll work just fine. The C2000B looks like a large diaphragm condenser, but it isn't. It has a 1/2" diaphragm. Too bad you got the deal with the headphones. I much prefer the deal with the (really cool) H100 shockmount. However, the price you got is just fine. The C2000B is a little colored, kind of like an Oktava MC012, but without the annoying tendancy to pop. They are good on many vocals, especially backing vox, fair on acoustic guitar, especially cheap ones. The coloration tends to smooth over the rough edges. In other words, I would use some badass expensive mics on a vintage Martin, and C2000B on a $300 Takamine. The C2000B is one of the best all-purpose percussion mics in its price range. AKG recommends it over C414 on congas and bongos, which I find interesting. I think you will find it a versatile studio workhorse with multiple uses.-Richie

It's been a while since I checked ebay, and I see there's a lot of deals out there with the headphones *and* the shockmount. They're also down to the $130 range, which is a steal. I think a lot of people are blowing them out because of the new Perception mics. This is a great time to grab one or two C2000's. I also see a lot of them are being offerred with the H85 shock mount, which I have never used, but seems similar to the H100 in design.-Richie

PS- I did a little research, and it looks like the H85 was designed for the new C414's, but also fits C2000,3000, and 4000. The outside ring is a little smaller, it's shorter from top to bottom, and it will accomodate smaller mics than the H100, which is very cool. I often use the H100 with pencil mics, such as Neumann KM184. I hope you got the shockmounts, because they rock, and are way overpriced when purchased separately.

www.akg.com/products/powerslave,mynodeid,15,id,790,pid,790,_language,EN.html

Last edited:
thanks a million!!! unfortunately i didn't get the shockmounts with the mics... : ( I will need to purchase them separately. The information you sent me was very interesting and useful!!! I really appreciate it!!! I'll let you know how it goes,

Jacob

well, i just recieved the mics and headphones... THEY DID COME WITH THE H-85 SHOCKMOUNTS!!! what a pleasant surprise!!! I'll be testing them out tonight on an acoustic guitarist and singer. Thanks a lot for your support!!!

Jacob

Not only a pleasant surprise, but a money saving one. Those shockmounts retail for about $90 each, and are really useful on everything from Oktava MC012's to Behringer ECM8000's, Studio Projects B-1, AKG D112, and many other mics. For the mics they fit, the H100's are the best shockmounts I've ever used. Let us know how the mics work. You can't lose. Hell, I'd buy one of those mics with its shockmount and the cans right now, for what you paid for it.-Richie

the C2000Bs are great!!! I love them and I'm loving the deal as well! If anyone has the money available, they should take advantage of this deal. Thanks a lot Richie for all your help and support!!!

Jacob

Richard Monroe said:
The C2000B looks like a large diaphragm condenser, but it isn't. It has a 1/2" diaphragm.
I didn't know this. How many mics are like this? It seems like a unique feature... almost makes me want some for myself!

Jacobi, if those H-85's are anything like the H-100's, you should love them!

Yo Innovidoba! No clue. There are some mics out there with 3/4" diaphagms, sometimes called "mid-sized" diaphragm mics, such as MXL990 and AT4033, but the C2000B is the only one I personally know about that uses a 1/2" diaphagm in a side addressed larger housing. A lot of people missed out on it, thinking it was just a cheaper, inferior version of the C3000. Nothing could be further from the truth. I think it is being phased out to be replaced by the Chinese made Perception series. While I have nothing against the Perception series mics, I think now is the time to grab one or two of these little Austrian made babies. Up against a pretty good selection of much more expensive mics, I still wind up using it, especially for cabs. They're now down to $129 "buy it now", new in box on ebay, and that won't last forever. That puts them into the dirt cheap category, for sure. I'll admit, I sold one of my pair after I got some KM184's, which took over most of my duties as overheads, but I kept one, and it's not going anywhere. I'm thinking I'll replace the missing one soon, while I still can.-Richie

I definitely do love the shockmounts... they fit a couple of other mics i have as well. Including the obligatory 990, haha!!! I don't like the 990, but I've vowed to never sell any mic that I own... that way if i'm ever in a pinch, or a creative mood, I've got a heafty mic locker to back me up in my endeavors.

funny thing is, i almost bought a couple of perceptions a while back. I still might at some point, but i am planning on buying a Rode NT1-A, and in the later future a couple of C3000B's... (unless i can afford C414s) hehe.

nice chatting with you all!!!

I'm glad you're having fun, Jacob. Just for the recored, although I use and like C414, I have pretty much no use for the C3000B. I think there are better ways to spend that money, and the Perception series is getting early good reviews. C2000B is simply one of the underated, underappreciated gems of the AKG line. Aside from it being associated with C3000B, which has a lot of detractors, many people expected it to be a large diaphragm mic, and used it as if it was one. The combination of the larger housing and the side address makes it something in between, almost its own category of mic. Just stick it on a guitar amp (probably with the pad engaged), and listen. It just loves cabs, especially clean cabs.-Richie

Richie,

just curious... do you suggest I use the C2000B for relatively close miking, or as an ambient mic at a greater distance??? I'm assuming relatively close miking would probably be where it would shine... I am also planning on using them to mic toms (about 5-10 inches away, with the pad on) and my Audix f15s as overheads on my dummers kit.

THANKS A LOT!!!

Jacob

That's right- not distant, but right up on the grill, padded if the amp is cranked. It handles SPL's just fine. It will shine on toms, also.-Richie

thanks a lot good sir!!!

hope to hear from you again soon!!! we can share some ideas... I've been experimenting with making my own mics from random speakers.

Jacob

lovin it

i just bought the mic and i think its off the hook..i dont think theres more to say about it except...its worth my money...

Back