AKG C1000s

TheMessStudio

I just picked up a couple of AKG C100S and want to use them for overheads in my drum room. Anyone have any opinions on wheather i should use the Presence adaptor or the hypercardiod adaptor, or just leave it as is. Thanks.

I'd just leave em as is. I really like the C1000's for overhead mics....a lot of people on here would disagree

Good luck
`Link

I used one as overhead too, hopefully this will change tonight (as I'm hoping to get a ECM8000 from my mum :))
I would leave it as it is, because the presence adapter would probably make it too tinny in the top end.

Merry Christmas

David.

In my humble opinion, I've used them as over heads and I find them harsh in that application, but I found a new love for them as rack tom mics. I feel they're more detailed than SM'57's on toms. On over heads, I kind of waffle back and forth with Octava MC-012's for a darker, rounder sound and AT-4033's for a crisper, brighter sound. YMMV.

Maybe it's me and I have a "thing" against the lower priced AT's and AKG's, but I find most of them very harsh at the top end and I try to avoid them, although sometimes (very rarely), they turn out to be the best mic for a particular job. Those times are so few though, it's not worth it to me to have them in my mic closet.

Hi Harvey,

Which AKG microphones do you feel are the mandatory and required models to have in your mic locker [and the ones which you use in your own studio a lot]? BTW, I found that AKG's "entry level" condensor C 2000 B model kicks some serious butt for electric guitar mic'ing! Just seems to really excel in that department more than other situations. Thanks and happy holidays to you and all down in Sanger!

Another quick comment on the C1000s while waiting for my daughter to fall asleep before Santa can go to work.

Looking back, I wouldn't wouldn't have bought it. But it does have some good points. It's a great mic in live applications and faithfully pulls in what you need. And at times I've used it as a replacement in my live work over a beta 57 and it's a nice change to hear all that high end over a dynamic. For that though you'll need the foam screen and watch the plosives but it's feedback rejection is amazing.

Merry Christmas, she's asleep now.

PinkStrat,

I guess I'm just not a big fan of the "new" AKG sound. I used to love the sound they had 20 or 30 years ago and had a large AKG collection back then. When I heard the latest AKG C1000 and the 414E BULS, I just didn't like them - way too much top end for me. The 414 was brand new in the box and I could have bought it for around $500 - I passed on it. I don't regret my decision.

I bought the AKG C3000 when it was selling for around $900 retail. Same problem - way too much top end for me, although I did use it with great results at times, but it was so few times, it wasn't worth it to me to keep it in my mic closet.

I do like the AKG D112 for kick. I use it a lot for kick and for electric guitars. Right now the only two AKG mics I own are the D112 and its predecessor, the D12E.

I have the same problem with the AT 4000 small diaphragm series. The top end is just a little too harsh for me, but I haven't heard the 4050 and above, so my comments should be applied to numbers below the 4050 series. I can see where some people might find them perfect for their needs.

I tend to like a warmer, bigger than life, kinda sound rather than the detailed stuff (which is harder to fit into a mix). I can easily see using an AKG 414 or AT 4041 or 4033 on the underside of a snare, for example.

Harvey,

I agree with you on the last C414 EB model having lots of high end. It was a crisp sounding unit. The new C414B-ULS is an entirely different sounding animal from the past C414 EB series. The B-ULS version has a warmer and fuller sound [and is a more flat response than the EB version was]. I A/Bed these two 414s side by side and I preferred the B-ULS by a mile. I feel that AKG has returned to their vintage sounding microphones more and more. They sure work perfectly for what I'm doing now!

Regarding the 4050, I found it to have a darker tone/sound. It makes a Strat sound much thicker [more along the lines of a Les Paul]. I will try the D-112 on electric guitar and tell you what I think. Thanks for your response.:)

I don't get it...

... I hear a LOT of talk on this board about the C1000. I have a pair of them, and I was sorely disappointed in this mic. It might be OK for vocals, but other than that, well, I wish I had saved my money instead of buying those. Indeed, it WAS one of the first mics I bought, but for the pair of them, I could have bought one Shure SM 81. In my opinion, a far superior mic, especially when it comes to micing a small hand-held acoustic instrument. (ie. acoustic guitar, woodwind, violin). I suppose I'll always have the C1000's, but they do little more than collect dust in my studio these days.

Michael Jones, I feel the same way!I did get a SM81 used and I like it MUCH better,I wished that I had just gotten them earlyer instead of the Cs!The only thing that I've been able to use the C1000s for is a small hand drum....I keep thinking that Ill find something they excelle at..The hunt continues...LOL..My next sm.dy. mic will be a Earthworks..Now I gotta save !

Don

I have a pair of C2000B’s and I’am very happy with them! Made great recordings with them!

Henri Devill said:
...The only thing that I've been able to use the C1000s for is a small hand drum....I keep thinking that Ill find something they excelle at..The hunt continues...LOL..My next sm.dy. mic will be a Earthworks..Now I gotta save !

Don

Thank god! I thought I was the only one.
An Earthworks huh Don. I'm not too familiar with those. I was thinking my next mic purchase would be a Royer R-121. I've read many good things about it. Sure would be nice to try one out though before buying it.
(sorry about being off-topic here)

I've got a c1000s and have used it as an overhead. It was alright but not great. I agree wholeheartedly with the harshness comments about it. It can at times seem scratchy on the high end. As far as using it for vocals, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're recording a female voice, and even then I wouldn't recommend it highly.

I do like it on guitar amps for some reason though.

I have one and I use it as an overhead. I'm only running a single overhead, but I think it is a really nice mic. It is a little harsh up top, but for my drummer's kit, it really does a good job. I also use it for vox. It does a really really good job for me. The singer in my band really does well with it also. I guess it's a matter of taste though.

Mike

Back