AKG 451s with CK5s considerations for acoustic guitar.

nrand

I'm relatively new to this forum, although not to recording but the last serious demo I did was ten years ago. I have upgraded my gear - following some advice here, and as posted on the profile page, and recently acquired enough parts to put together two 451s with the CK5s.

I was looking for the CK1s or 61s but they were too expensive on ebay and I got a pair of these caps for $125.00 shipped. Much less money.

It may be a case of economics over sounds but I'm on a tight budget at present and I had read a couple of comments saying the CK5s are pretty much the same as the CK1s.

I am wondering if others have used these and if there are and special considerations in comparison withe more common CK1 capsules?

My flow is acoustic guitar [later vocals] > AKGs > Mindprint pres - version 1s > Roland VS 1880 - for silent running > US 144 > Mac Pro with Logic - for dumping from the Roland into my tracks.

Any comments or preamp setting etc will also be of help as I a a bit rusty:spank:

[partial]
Taylor GA
MIJ Epi 335
Mainly AKGs
2x451s
1x452
C2000B
EV RE20
Mindprint pres X 2
Roland VS 1880
Mac Pro w/ Logic

Last edited:
Any comments or preamp setting etc will also be of help as I a a bit rusty:spank:

Well it all depends on what your looking for in your final mix, and only your mind and your ears can truly be your guide on that one.

As far as optimal settings ..... If you are to high in the volume of your preamp and you are experiencing noise then your to high. But if you need that high volume for the microphone to be working at it's best and you are getting noise ... then you need a better preamp.

And welcome aboard matey.

I use a single 451 through a Mindprint Envoice into an AW4416... not a dissimilar chain.

Should work well for you, depending upon your geetar and room and a million other variables!

AKG say the CK1 and CK5 are identical in terms of frequency response and polar pattern; the only difference is the integrated grill/pop shield.

THIS SITE has scans of the old AKG product information (scroll down to near the bottom) which tells you about the CK1 vs the CK5.

I use a pair of 451/CK1 for recording acoustic guitar and have yet to find a sound I like better. Your combination should sound very good.

Bob

Back