Akai (newer versions)

TJC

Hello all -

I was hoping to hear more about the differences between:

...the different versions of the dps12 (dps12i, dps12v2, v3?) and how long ago the latest model or upgrade was introduced.

and

...the different versions of the dps16 (dps16i, dps16v2, v3?) and how long ago the latest model came out. I've read that the dps16 was discontinued. Does anyone know why?

Thanks -

TJC

My best guess (and it's speculation) about why the DPS 16 was discontinued is that it was released at about the same time as the Korg D1600 and D1200, and did not have the same design capability as the Korg for an on-board CD burner. I really think it's that simple. The unit was released into an increasingly ferocious competitive market and didn't get enough market share to work in the long haul. It was released at a list price of something like $2700 and a firm street price of $1600. Then AKAI did a couple of disk drive upgrades and released some absolutely fantastic software upgrades, to v.3. The street price dropped to $1400 and places like Sam Ash began closing them out (with the old 10G drive) at a grand. Remember what was beginning to happen to the Fostex 16-track prices at about the same time - dropping from $1600 to $900 in a couple of months.

Too bad, because it's the only 24/96 16-tracker unit anywhere in the class, and because the O/S is stable and the interface is intuitive. Upgrading an old drive is straightforward, as the internal drive is ADA - basically a local discount - compatible drive. Outboard drives are SCSI. Preamps are extremely nice. Find 'em on e-bay for about $800 - 1000. Outboard CD-burners are available to fit on ebay for about $150. Killer unit.

Have you tried an 8 channel pre with yours, yamaha has one for 500.00 thats pretty impressive. the MLA7. it came out at $1200 but was marketed as an outboard preamp to enhance their o2r mixers. my best purchase used at 175.00

Back