Akai mpk61 vs max49

blkarmphoenix

Hello everybody! tried to post last night but apparently it didn't work :(. I have been lurking here for the last few weeks as I begin the adventure of building my home recording studio. I have been a musician for a long time, but just recently began getting into recording/production. I run an audiobox usb interface, with Presonus Studio One Professional (loving Studio One btw!). I play mostly acoustic pop/light rock, with my own vocals, backup instruments, and programming my own drums/synths. Part of the reason I wanted to start recording at home was to be able to be somewhat of a "One man band" and be able to have complete control over my projects from start to finish. Another reason is because I feel the urge to dabble in dubstep/electronic music production.

Next up on my verrrrry long list of things to purchase is a good midi controller. I think I have it pretty well narrowed down to either the Akai mpk61, or the Akai max49. I just have no experience in music production or using a midi controller, so I need some input on the pros and cons of each.

I am a piano player, as well as a guitar/bass player (and a little drums, but programming drums on the computer is just soooo much easier lol). One of the things that always BOTHERED me about playing piano, is that a lot of pianos always felt stiff to me as it is, so I think that the semi weighted keys that both models sport will actually fit nicely with my playing style. With that being said, I like the idea of having 61 keys on the mpk. More room to move means greater creative flow, and having the ability to just twiddle around with a piano vst whenever i'm bored or need to change focus/take a break. At the same time, i've heard that the pads on the apk are terrible. Since I am wanting to get into electronic music production I am going to need the pads quite regularly (also to do backing drums for my acoustic recordings). I have heard good things about the pads on the max49. What bothers me about the max 49, is that at first glance, it seems like 49 keys would be plenty. At the same time, I worry that I would find myself hitting the top and bottom of the keyboard every so often and I could see that getting frustrating after a while. Also if I had to be honest, the touch ribbon faders scare me a bit. Not only in the application of the strips themselves, but I also wonder how they would hold up in regards to build quality over time. I am a total beginner at production and am just learning what all the knobs/faders even do. While the physical knobs and faders of the mpk make more sense to my brain I could also see the max49's touch strips to be more intuitive and allow for better creative flow once the learning curve is handled.

Any suggestions from someone more experienced than I? I've been researching pros and cons for hours, and just cant make up my mind. More keys/crapper drum pads/tried and true hardware or Better pads/12 less keys/scary but neat looking touch faders.

confoosed

Back