Akai 202D SS?

crbp742

Im just now begining to get into analog recording, and ive been trying to find a good deal on a reel to reel. I found on craigslist a Akai 202D SS with 12 new ampex tapes for only 200 dollars. I cant seem to find any information about this machine so im hesitant on whether or not i should purchase it. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this reel to reel, or has any suggestions.

What is your plan for it? It looks like a consumer-grade Quadrophonic machine, so you aren't going to want to use it for recording a stereo mixdown, and I suspect that you can't use it as a normal 4-track machine either.

Looking it up, it's as I suspected - it can only record 4 tracks at once, you can't go back and overdub like most 4-track recorders.

Without knowing what kind of tape it is, the Ampex stuff could be anything. It might be early enough to still work, especially if it's a formulation intended for a consumer deck like this. Be aware that the more modern Ampex tapes (from about 1975-1994) have become sticky and will often shed all over the deck which is bad.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd probably skip this one unless you need to play back Quad tapes from the 1970s.

I just looked into this because I thought D-SS was Akai's designation for their 4-track sync machines, but unfortunately not, so stay away, unless you like a challenge ;) Anything from Akai with Quadra-sync on it should work well for someone just starting out, especially the GX-designated decks, because the heads on those were supposed to be indestructible.

Okay, i was also considering a teac 3340. Those are a little bit more expensive, but they seem like quality machines. Do you think the 3340 would be a good choice as well?

Okay, i was also considering a teac 3340. Those are a little bit more expensive, but they seem like quality machines. Do you think the 3340 would be a good choice as well?

That's likely to be a lot closer to what you want, yes. One thing to check - I might be talking out of my arse here, but I have a sneaking suspicion there's two versions... the 3340 and the 3340S. If so, make sure it's the S-version because the original will not be able to overdub properly (the S-version added sync mode, the original may play the other channels 1/15th of a sec late). Hopefully someone else can clarify that.

The other thing is that the machine is likely to be about 40 years old so it may require some TLC unless it's being sold as recently-serviced.

I've not used one myself but others on the forum seem to rate them quite highly.

Both Teacs are simul sync machines.
The 3340 non S has a shuttle lever for selecting fast mode or standard play.
The S version has the typical array or pushbuttons and no lever. Among other improvements onthe S version, the shuttle lever elimination made it more reliable.
a3340-1.jpgTeacA-3340S033.jpg

Back