AI-3 at 44.1 ??

Havoc

I was searching for external ADAT ADA for my PC, and tought the AI-3 interesting. I downloaded the manual from Alesis, but it is absolutely silent on sample rate, it is never mentioned, so here's the question:

Can the AI-3 run on 44.1kHz??

Interesting question.

The unit "defaults" to word clock "slave" mode, so it is quite possible that it will handle 44.1. But, this requires that you have an optical cable running BACK to the unit so that it can get it's clock from an external source. Whether this actually works? Who knows. Alesis has not been all that grand about making their stuff work in the real world lately. :(

Maybe that ex-Alesis guy around here can clear this up.

Ed

ex-Alesis guy

Hi,

Ed is right on. The AI-3 will automatically "clock slave" when it "sees" an Optical cable attached to its Digital In port. It will clock at either 44.1 or 48K. When it is Master clock, however, it will only operate at 48K.

Hope this helps,

Mike

The AI-3 is a good unit. I use to use one with my MOTU 2408 before I got my ADATs. The only thing I disliked about them is that they do not have a LED meter of your incoming or outbound signals - just a single light. but if you are using an ADAT with it, the meters on the ADAT will work just fine.

Thanks for the help. If you can only work in 44.1 slave mode then I think I will look for something else. I like the convertor being master when recording.

Back