again one of those cable things

Riku

I'm reading RANE sound system Interconnection.... and getting confused.

The problem is this, because I'm spending all my money on a computer and stuff I won't be able to buy proper studio monitors. I have to monitor with my home stereos for a while.
I'm ordering Echo MIA or Hoontech DSP2496 MKII soundcard. They both have balanced ins/outs. Mia has TRS and MKII has XLR.
Home stereo unit has normal rca inputs. So which kind of cable should I use from souncard balanced output to rca input?

I can't figure out if is should use cross-coupled modification tying the the ring and the sleeve together or not?

just get one of those RCA - 1/8" stereo cables.... should be easily available in computer or electronics shops.

c_ca3.jpg

Last edited:
That's a plus for hoontech.... I hadn't noticed the 1/8 output for eternal mixer before.

Thanks Leeking.

I guess you were one those who were using Hoontech. Are you saticified? I haven't decided between MIA and MKII and sure could need some help?

but anybody? I would be interested to know about that cable thing?

No plus for hoontech. You give it a plus because it has TRS instead of XLR? You can solve it easily with just an adaptorplug or cable, I think your main concern should be sound quality/possibilities, and not wether or not you need an extra adaptor...

You'll need these adaptors anyway soon or later.

What you should look at is that they are both balanced out. So that's a point for both cards. Your hifi amp doesn't have balanced in, so you just need to use the hot and mass of the balanced cable.

And you'll need whisky. Better count that in too... Oh. It's me who needs whisky. Never mind. :p

I allready have a half of a bottle of whisky....

The plus for Hoontech was because it has both the XLR balanced outs and the 1/8 stereo output for internal mixer. I'm trying to figure out if I can use that for monitoring while I'm recording???
I know that's a minor +

my main concern is not the adapters I'm sure I can figure those out... I hope...

but the original guestion was should I cross-couple the balanced outputend (XLR or TRS) shield and Black, because in the other end (RCA input) the black is shield... do you follow??? the red one is the hot one....

I'll end up drinking the rest of the bottle...

Riku said:
Thanks Leeking.

I guess you were one those who were using Hoontech. Are you saticified? I haven't decided between MIA and MKII and sure could need some help?

No, I don't have a Hoontech yet.. but would like to have one as soon as I can! :)
I am interested with the C-port as it is almost a complete system with a very attractive price tag!
Do a search for Hoontech and you can get one or two Hoontech owner's testimonies... (ie. Ola and Tom Hicks)

yep I've done that search couple of times...

I'm not yet sure which card I end up buying. i still got few days to think about it before I order...

but I'm still curious about what does the cross-couple cable thing do???

Back