Afforadable 8 Channel Preamp

Dioxide

I'm looking for an affordable 8 Channel Preamp or maybe 2 4 channels for the same price any suggestions I'd like to keep it under 3 bills which might be difficult to do w/ what I'm asking for. Thanx for any help. :D

At that price, your best solution will probably be an 8 channel mixer and use the inserts. There are several in that price range. Don't forget to consider this one from Carvin.

looks like a nice desk for the price - can anyone help me here...

if i'm running a pc studio(hi spec) is it better/different to go for a USB/firewire interface or just go for a mixing desk and plug it into my sound card which is hi spec as well, because my budget is quite tight.

It's definitely cheaper becuase this desk has 8 pre-amps and most of the interfaces are big bucks for 8 pre-amps. What is the difference between these two things? and just by plugging the output of the desk into the input of the soundcard can i record all eight channels simultaneously.

i'm confused by all this stuff as can use all the equipment just not sure about it when it comes to setting up and buying it!

Hey, bh.

Let's work back from the PC.

Does your software support recording 8 channels at a time? Some of the cheaper entry level packages don't.

Does your soundcard support recording 8 channels at a time? Most don't. If you mix with a mixer, and record the stereo out, you will not be able to manipulate the different channels, like turning up the snare.

Do you have enough preamps?

Finally, do you really need to be able to record that many channels at a time? There are a lot of ways to work around that.

It might be better to be able to record 2 or 4 channels very well than 8 mediocrilly.

If you need 8 preamps, then you'd probably get better quality going for a dedicated preamp box rather than a mixer. I personally wouldn't buy a cheap Carvin mixer for the preamps. The same goes for the budget mixers from Behringer, Yamaha, Alesis, etc.

The only Behringer I'd possibly suggest you look at is the ADA8000. Eight preamps in a box with an ADAT interface. I haven't used on myself, bu have read plenty of reviews on it htat say it is a good deal for the money. It won't be high end, but might be good enough.

Yamaha makes a box called the MLA-7, which is 8 preamps in one rack space. No USB/FW, just 8 preamps. I used to have one, and it's pretty good actually. Presonus makes something called the Firepod that I believe has 8 preamps. They also make at least one other box with 8 preamps in it. There are others out there as well.

Again, I personally would avoid the cheap mixer with 8 preamps.

the firepod looksgood and for a fair price aswell. i take it as it is firewire i can plug it in, install the drivers and once it has been configured with cubase sx 2.0 i can record up to eight channels simultaneously(although i probably wouldn't go over 4 or 5) and each channel would be recorded to a separate track on cubase becuase it is connectedc to the pc solely by a firewire cable.

right??!

bh4554 said:
the firepod looksgood and for a fair price aswell. i take it as it is firewire i can plug it in, install the drivers and once it has been configured with cubase sx 2.0 i can record up to eight channels simultaneously(although i probably wouldn't go over 4 or 5) and each channel would be recorded to a separate track on cubase becuase it is connectedc to the pc solely by a firewire cable.

right??!

Right! ... hows that for an in depth answer? :cool:
Seriously, you are correct.
To get multiple simultaneous tracks, you need a multi-channel soundcard/interface.
The FireWire connection is simply that .... a FireWire connection for transferring data. There are PCI and USB interfaces as well. Though I wouldn't use a USB option. As a mater of fact ... I don't. I use FireWire myself with an 828mkII (20 channels in and 22 out).
Also, as you have been told, preamps can come in many forms. It's not a requirement that they be part of the interface. It makes it handy but then you are somewhat stuck with that flavor of preamp or you end up paying for them and not using them in favor of other/better preamps.

If you are planning on using the preamps in the ADA8000, usually the direct boxes come before the preamps.

The ADA8000 is best used as a front-end to an ADAT interface, as it's inputs go straight to the converters. If you where wanting to use it as just an analog multi-channel preamp, you would need to loop the ADAT OUT to the ADAT IN. That's some extra A/D D/A for no good reason.

i have a firepod that i use for portable recording. 8 channels of preamps and a soundcard in one box. it sound good, sounds even better when your realize it's only $600. it comes with some cubase software too. i've also used the digimax lt. while the sound isn't going to blow you away, the preamps (at less than $100 a channel) are clean (if a bit sterile) and they sound quite a bit better than the mackie 1604 i have sitting in the rack. still if you are looking for a soundcard + preamps, get the firepod. the digimax preamps and firepod preamps have a very similar sound and the firepod's price can't be beat. good luck.

I like what I see of the Firepod, too. The trouble with Behringer is that it's, well, Behringer. Might be a good box, but I think I'd be a little embarassed.

If money was available, I'd get a Fireface. It's only $1450.

Well I am not embarrassed about my ADA-8000's

Been 1 year of ownership, no issues whatsoever.
Sits in the rack and does it's Job.

Aint the best but certainly not horrible.

Only complaint, I wish there were pads on the mic pre's.

I have cut many a drum track with it :)

Back