Ae2500

guinsu

I hadn't many posts about the Audio Technica AE2500 so I thought I'd share some thoughts. I just borrowed one from a friend and used it on a track this weekend. I like the mic, it recorded pretty well and was easy to shape with EQ. The sound it gets by default is a little overly clicky, I had to cut that and boost up some of the low end. I'd been previously been using a D112 that I didn't like at all, this is a step up but not yet my ideal kick sound. Anyone else using one that wants to throw out some thoughts?

love it!

I picked up one for about $275 and it's well worth it. The first time we used the AE2500 everything seemed pretty balanced - half in and half out of the soundhole pointed at the beater.

The next time we recorded with it, the head was changed (from a Remo pinstripe to an Aqurian), and the dynamic side of the mic made the kick sound like we were bouncing a basketball. Not really what we were going for. ;)

After repositioning the mic off-axis we got a much more usable sound. We pointed the mic down and aimed it away from the beater to reduce click.

I really like the way the AE2500's condenser picks up the "life" of the kick, but you really gotta experiment to find the sweet spot.

Cheers, Rez

Back