Advice: selling my Digi 001 or my computer

cordura21

Hey gus. I have a Digi 001, with both Protools LE and Cubase. My computer is an MSI mobo, with nVidia nForce2 chipset and an Athlon XP. I wanted this setup so I could have the best of both worlds, via the ASIO drivers.

Sadly, the best of worlds looks more like watching The Return Of The Living Dead (the scary one). ASIO drivers fails every 5 minutes in Cubase, and I don't want to use Protools anymore cause I love the free vst plugins.

So I have to either:
a) sell my pc and buy a Digi approved one.
(I don't know if this will fix the 001-ASIO-Cubase issue, since I guess it's approved to work with Protools).

b) sell my Digi 001 and buy some other card (any good recommendation)

c) Buy a 002 and pray for ASIO compatibility.

What's your opinion?
Thanks, Andrés

If you don't want to use Pro Tools, then why would get an 002? Sounds like B is the option for you. As to what card to replace the 001 with, how about a 1010?

hey Elevate. My best scenario would be a Digi product that works with Cubase for 2 reasons: 1) all the projects I already have are in Protools and 2) I'd like to keep the compatibility option, some friends of mine use PT LE, and if I ever go to a studio it'd be a cool choice.

A good resource to check out for asio compatability is the nuendo users forum... From what I've read the boys at steiny have tested the 002 for compatibility and believe it to work.

The 002 is a neat upgrade from your 001 anyway, in that you get the higher resolution, and by its firewire nature, its portable, and laptop friendly...

Barring that, you could get a rock solid hammerfall or other type card for your vst setup, and pick up one of those cute little mbox's just so you can keep a working install of pt on your rig for what you already have, and editing other folks stuff. (for that matter keep your 001 and save up for something more solid for Cubase)

Just some thoughts.

btw if you decide you want to get rid of your 001 on the cheap cheap, drop me a pm, I'm looking for something for my home rig, because I love taking my work home with me ;)

good luck with whatever you decide.

Regards,

Rich
www.radiumreactor.com

heh, no thanks. I've been using those kind of solutions on mac since the days Leigh Marble did the magic between Rewire and Protools. In my opinion, they always added a link to the problem chain.

I think you'd be surprised. I've been using the VST-to-RTAS adapter, and they got this one right. It's working flawlessly for me and a couple of my friends, and it doesn't seem to add any noticeable latency to the plugins. It's a slick piece of work, not like some of those older solutions that were hack jobs.

Back