Advice/Recommendations

doubler

Trying to bleed more out of my equipment that I myself am capable of knowing already.

I'm looking to get a stronger feel and presence on the vocals from the songs we do. A more rich fullness, not such a flat sound where as it feels that the lyrics are imbedded in the song but sound more open and flow proper with the beat. Hope that makes some sense. And any tips/advice for cleaning up the vocals would also be appreciated i love experimenting with new things on final processing

my equipment right now is
a rhode ntk microphone
which goes into my mixer board
an eurorack UB1204FX- Pro
and right into my sound card
the software i choose to edit with is cool edit

my music for a sample of the quality im currently at is located at
www.cryptocreep.com
or
www.soundclick.com/crypt0

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mic Pre!!!!

FIRST OFF INVEST IN A DECENT MIC PRE! RNP OR GRACE DESIGN.

THEN TRADE IN THE EURODESK IN FOR A LOWER END GHOST OR SOUNDCRAFT SPIRIT.

You have a good tube mic! Use a good preamp and you'll be happy.

Come on guys, listen to clips first.

Doubler, i'm hearing A LOT of room. The room doesn't sound that good. brittle and the sound is hard. If you're looking for warmth, invest in some acoustic treatment of the room you track in first. This will help get the vocals to come up front in the mix a little bit more because there will be less audible room sound. For hip hop style, i don't think that you'd need a whole lot of natural ambience in your vocal track. Construction of a vocal booth using insulated panels will help as well as make it more comfortable for one of you to engineer while the other is tracking, isolated from the control room.

Secondly, get up a bit closer on the mic. You could consider adding an sm57 to your mic setup and run two mic channels. The sm57 will provide a lot of bite, and as you get closer to the mic, the proximity effect (the bass and lower freq presence) will become more pronounced. This is good.

And lastly, you may want to consider manually double tracking your vocals. It is a technique and a method that is invaluable. record one of your vocal tracks the way you want. Now, on a seperate track, re record them as close as humanly possible. All your ss'ss and t's and sh'ss in the same spots. This will very effectively make the vocal sound thick and stand out in a track.

Those would be my pointers prior to spending a couple 2-3 g's on a new mixer or preamp. Make good with what you have first.

cheers

I defer commenting to someone more familiar with the genre...i'm not much of a hip hop guy and my advice would be probably worthless :)

I think it's more a matter of attack. Announciate the words a little more. Get excited! and pretend your in front of a thousand people. Kinda sounds like your scared behind the mic.

That's seems to be the case a lot with basement hip hop productions. I'm not trash talking hear. I'm saying 90% of the clips I've listened to that people post on here, they all sound like there sitting there reading the words.

Back