Advice plse: Recording Violins

robf

Hi all --

I'd be grateful for any advice..I have a korg d1600 , sm57 and Rode NT-2 mics. I have to record a string quartet for the first time (violins plus cello). Any tips? I thought maybe jsu the NT-2 a few feet away from the players. What do you think? Or shold I use both mics? OR more?

thanks for any help..
Robert

robf said:
Hi all --

... I have to record a string quartet for the first time (violins plus cello). Any tips? I thought maybe jsu the NT-2 a few feet away from the players. What do you think? Or shold I use both mics? OR more?

thanks for any help..
Robert

Any way to swing (or borrow) a couple of condensors for a stereo pair? Even inexpensive one can do a decent job.
Sounds like a nice gig.
:)

I'm with mixsit. Your best choice would probably be a pair of studio prolects B-1's, Oktava MC012's, or Marshall MXL603's A pair of either can be had for under $200 and shipped priority. For about $300, a pair of NT5's would be fine. Of course, a second NT-2 would be nice, but it's more money and wouldn't get any kind of new and different sound. Ideally, you really need 2 more or less identical mics to do it right. If you've got to do it with the mics you have, use the NT2 in omni, and pray that you have a good room without a lot of outside noise. I'd probably just go with a pair of B-1's and let it go at that.-Richie

Back