Advice please on timbre in the mid range..

kickingtone

I've recently completed the absolute basics and have started to look at timbre. (Took 3 years as i have no musical background.)

My mid range sounds very plain, at best. I have some really short clips of my entire range, and i would like comments on all of them and suggestions on what I may be able to incorporate into my mid range to make it sound better.

Things like, "more air", "more brightness", "more edge", "more squillo", "more/less weight" etc. would be very helpful. :)

Up at A4, I think I have something to build on, but please comment.

https://soundcloud.com/kickingtone/hnir002lv

Down at, G2, again I think I have something to build on. Comments welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/kickingtone/iitetf013lv

As I start approaching the mid range, the problem starts to show..

https://soundcloud.com/kickingtone/sosb002lv

And her is the problem in all its glory..What I want is a basic change make this something I can then build on.

https://soundcloud.com/kickingtone/sosb003lv

I think that I am ok in falsetto, in that range..

https://soundcloud.com/kickingtone/botw004lv

Thanks in advance.

Good job starting from scratch and keeping at it for three years already! I'm curious what the absolute basics are that you've been working on. Are you doing any exercises for proper breath support? I hear some wavering and pitchiness that usually comes from not moving air well.

Good job starting from scratch and keeping at it for three years already! I'm curious what the absolute basics are that you've been working on. Are you doing any exercises for proper breath support? I hear some wavering and pitchiness that usually comes from not moving air well.

uhm... pitch control and breath support! lol!

I came across the appoggio technique about a year ago, and borrowed from that. It took my range from around E4 up to B4.

Can you point out examples of where the pitchiness and wavering is that you are referring to? Thanks.

For example, in the third clip, do you hear the waver on "shine?" I hear that in various places. Pitchiness is slight throughout. It's great that you've expanded your range. Good work! That feels good doesn't it?! Keep doing what your doing.

Do you feel that you understand diaphragmatic breathing? Work on that until it's second nature.

Do you use a variety of exercises? Watch new lessons all the time, different teachers, make playlists of the useful ones. Sometimes just hearing a different explanation of something will give you "ah-ha" moments.

For example, in the third clip, do you hear the waver on "shine?" I hear that in various places.

The whole of the phrase, from "your time..", sounds strained to me, and the word shine culminates in a glitch. I think the problems are multiple. It may be due to me trying to put colour into this part of my range. I have just been thinking that it needs a bit more "yawn".

Pitchiness is slight throughout. It's great that you've expanded your range. Good work! That feels good doesn't it?! Keep doing what your doing.

Which two would you say are the least pitchy? That would help me decide if I have to work on my ear or on my delivery.

Do you feel that you understand diaphragmatic breathing? Work on that until it's second nature.

Do you use a variety of exercises? Watch new lessons all the time, different teachers, make playlists of the useful ones. Sometimes just hearing a different explanation of something will give you "ah-ha" moments.

Perhaps I spend too much time with research, rather than systematic practice. I love the science of it all, and like those aha moments.

I can correct breathing issues quickly, once I notice the problem. So, I do think that I understand diaphragmatic breathing, and the single registration concept in appoggio. My favourite vids have been by Franco Tenelli. He just seems to make so much sense.

Applying it all and getting it instinctual is a whole different matter.

What I need is to get round to is a systematic practice regime. Although three years have elapsed, it's been kind of casual as far as practice is concerned. I've been more fascinated by the science of it, I think. I don't even have a particular genre. Upside is that I am not impatient. But I do have to find time for more systematic practice.

Thanks for your help.

I agree. Make simple exercises a part of your daily routine. It the car, while going for a walk, while doing chores. After a few weeks, you'll be doing it automatically. While multi-tasking, use simple easy relaxed vocalizations and don't worry too much how it sounds. Just let your chords vibrate while being totally relaxed from the chords up. I like Tenelli and also Mark Baxter.

You're range will improve as you develop your voice, but it sounds like you a good grasp of the fundamentals. It does sound a bit airy at times, but it still sounds good. The key to good singing is to create a resonance space in your voice. I was taught to widen your mouth as if you're yawning. That opens up your space more so you can project.

I hope that helps.

You're range will improve as you develop your voice, but it sounds like you a good grasp of the fundamentals. It does sound a bit airy at times, but it still sounds good. The key to good singing is to create a resonance space in your voice. I was taught to widen your mouth as if you're yawning. That opens up your space more so you can project.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for your comments. :)

Vocal tract shape and vowels is precisely what my main focus is right now. which includes resonance space.

Few songs sung with "edge" or "twang" inspire me (I am not into rock, etc.), so the more neutral or "airy" sound is what I tend to pick up on.

Edge and twang are good for certain types of projection in certain songs, and I have added a bit more edge to my timbre, but there are not many songs that I like that make me want to do that. I'll have to keep looking.

Thanks for your comments. :)

Vocal tract shape and vowels is precisely what my main focus is right now. which includes resonance space.

Few songs sung with "edge" or "twang" inspire me (I am not into rock, etc.), so the more neutral or "airy" sound is what I tend to pick up on.

Edge and twang are good for certain types of projection in certain songs, and I have added a bit more edge to my timbre, but there are not many songs that I like that make me want to do that. I'll have to keep looking.

It sounds like resonance is the issue. It sounds like everything is falling back. I'd incorporate twang into everything I since until that mask resonance is second nature. That's what will make your natural timbre more pleasant. Twang also forces the cords to come together in a healthy manner so it'll eliminate airiness as well.

It sounds like resonance is the issue. It sounds like everything is falling back. I'd incorporate twang into everything I since until that mask resonance is second nature. That's what will make your natural timbre more pleasant. Twang also forces the cords to come together in a healthy manner so it'll eliminate airiness as well.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the resonance or the projection.

A spectrograph of my tone shows heaps of mask resonance.

I don't like twang or edgy or twangy tones, personally, and I don't plan to introduce much of it into my tone.

It's just a question of personal preference. But people who do like twang often seem to confuse it with resonance or projection.

Back