Advice on two songs!

NoahP.

Hey guys,

looking for some advice on two covers i recorded back in february.
I got them to what i thought was a finished state (back then).
There is a lot that I can improve, I'm just not quite sure what it is.
The first is intended to be a bit "lo-fi" like the original, and i think its better than the second.
The drums are sampled by the way.
Any advice on how i could make this better would be great.
I'm only 16, and this was my first foray into this world of audio recording, so no harshness please.

Thanks,

Noah

Track #1: So Bored 1 by Noah Pajunen on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Track #2: Kill The Director 1 by Noah Pajunen on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Well, for being 16 and your first attempt, I understand. Track 2 "sounds" a bit better that track 1 which sounds like it was recorded in an airplane hanger. Way too far away but then, I don't know the original or what you are after so that may be what you want. Just my first impression. Any post recording treatment? Reverb? Sounds like a bit too much of it. EQ? I'd use some of that.

I know there are others who are far more articulate than I at giving specific advice but the one thing I would definitely say is "click track". Timing is everything. Good luck!

track 1 which sounds like it was recorded in an airplane hanger.
Now that you mention it...
No, but yeah i was sort of trying to go for a reverbed out sound. The album that the original is on has a quite messed up sound as a whole, something i was trying to replicate. It might have come out a bit to delicate, needs more "oompf"
But thanks, I'll look more into EQ, and I've learnt how vital a click track is, thank god :)

Reverb! I'm going to guess you like it...maybe going for a Band of Horses sort of sound? Back it off a lot and it'll still sound cool.

Back of the distortion on the guitars...a little goes a long way in recording.

add some bass.

Good start...keep plugging away.

Back