advice on track splitting and noise reduction software

Esquire

Greetings all. I need to edit a long wav file. I have a continuous music mix of about 75 minutes. I need to do 2 things:

1) I need to remove "pops" from the recording; and

2) I need to manually split the single file into several "tracks."

Any recommendations on good software for these tasks? Do the major software programs have functions that will allow me to do these tasks? Your advice will also help me decide which software to purchase. I made this recent mix using my tape-based multitrack recorder. I'm in the process of switching to computer-based multitracking (I just bought a new computer).

My first task, however, is dealing w/my recent music mix. Your advice on the above two task is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Cool Edit Pro has the capability to eliminate noise from a recording. But CEP doesn't produce the greatest sounding recordings, so that might keep you away from it. I believe that the other major recording software don't have noise reduction built in, but can do it through plug ins.

If you need to split a single file into seperate tracks, I assume you just mean that you need to cut the file up and export them as seperate waves. Any recording software can do that.

Steinberg, the makers of Cubase has a program called Clean! that can remove the junk from your .wav file. Any editor, Cubase, Cakewalk, CoolEdit, Samplitude, Vegas, SoundForge, etc. can do the editing.

Sonic Foundry's Noise Reduction is the best noise reduction plug available. Very versatile, highly configurable. Check it out.
Peace,
BM

Back