Advice on studio desk placement

jbuckey

Hi. I've been lurking here for a while, but just created an account to hopefully learn a few things and maybe share some of my experiences and knowledge.

I am in the process of moving my home studio from a corner of our large finished basement to a separate room in the basement. Looking for advice on two potential locations for the desk (see pic).

I know that conventional wisdom says to place the desk on the shorter wall (location 1), but in my case, as you can see in the linked floor plan, the long wall placement has a 4 ft opening behind it. I wasn't sure if putting the desk on the long wall (location 2) would help avoid reflections off the back wall. It would also be cooler looking to see the desk as you enter the room, but I'm more worried about making the room be the best it can be acoustically over the aesthetic given I'm really the only one who ever uses the studio.

Here is the floor plan pic: https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/...wkksvkCTXz9GZTu2UTh8t_NRcYsAQ/pub?w=960&h=720

Thanks in advance for any help you can give, I appreciate it!

Edit: I attached the floor plan in addition to providing the link to download it directly.

Attachments

• Studio Floorplan(2).png
    Studio Floorplan(2).png
    26.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Yes, option 1 would be most optimum. Listening position best approximately 1/3 the distance of the room. Likely monitors 2' of wall. That would hopefully make your first reflection point past the glass block window.

Back