advice on SDC.

Blink 182

I'm not exactly new to home recording, but that doesn't mean I'm very skillful just yet. I do feel, however, that some of my equipment is holding me back. I currently use a pair of Shure PG81s for overheads, but despite careful placement, they are not capturing the kit as nice as I would hope. I intend to replace much of the close mic'd drum sounds with Drumagog, so I really want to get a nice overhead sound. I don't really want to spend more than £400 on a pair. Is this a suitable budget for a significant upgrade on the PG81s? The only mics I've looked at so far are a matched pair of S.E. Electronics SE-3As. I don't really know alot about microphones, but these are a matched pair, and I was under the assumption this is a good thing.

Another option I've been thinking about is buying another AKG C2000b. I already have one, so it would make financial sense to buy another and use those as overheads. I am a little unsure about this though, as reading through this board, it seems I would be better off working with small diaphragm microphones rather than large.

But anyway, thanks if you can help me.

Why not try the AKG as a mono overhead to see if that gives you more of what you want before spending money?

sl

I've already experimented with the akg as a mono overhead. The sound was nice, I liked the overall image but I was really looking for a more responsive, sharper sound.

I'm interested in the B1s. They seem to be supurb value for money, but their low price worries me a little. Will they be a significant improvement over my PG81s? My budget was for just under £200 per mic, so is this microphone the best I can get in the £0-£200 price range?

It would be extremely helpful if it was.

Thanks.

Ok. Humour me here a little then.

I've been looking at the other Studio Projects gear, and I've noticed the C1 is roughly twice the price of the B1. The C1 is still within my budget, so would this be a better microphone to buy? Or is the B1 still superior is this price range?

Blink 182 said:
Ok. Humour me here a little then.

I've been looking at the other Studio Projects gear, and I've noticed the C1 is roughly twice the price of the B1. The C1 is still within my budget, so would this be a better microphone to buy? Or is the B1 still superior is this price range?

I don't have any experience with the CI.

I have tried the MXL 603, the C1000s, the Oktava MK-012, and the SP B1 as overhead mics.

In my room, on my drums, with me playing, with my pres and converters, the SP B1 is significantly more detailed and neutral sounding than any of the others. YMMV.

Back