Advice on Midi software for live performance

ConorC

Hi guys,
Total noob question here. I'm only learning to play the piano so this is a question that is not going to need an answer for a few months yet. I have an M-Audio Oxygen 49 which I really like and I play with it plugged into Reaper which is running my piano , and other, VSTs. I sing in a rock band and I want to be able to add the piano into the live performance at some point in the future. I know I could get a proper synth, but until that happens is there a piece of software I could put on my laptop that I could set up my VSTs and have a large enough interface that I could quickly switch between different VSTs? I know I could use reaper for this, I would prefer something less cluttered and easier to see at a glance during a live performance, if you know what I mean.

Is there such a thing? Any advice would be appreciated.

Conor

Yep.

Go to KVR and search for 'free host', 'can host' and 'VST' and push search. I did it just to make sure it worked as I thought it would, and the one I recommend you start with is Topten Software's free Cantabile. There's also a free app called 'Anvil Studio' that I've never used but looks like it might suit your needs.

If you'd rather pay for somthing post again - there are two candidates to consider.

Does the Oxygen have an easy way to change the MIDI channel it's sending? You could have up to 16 VSTi's running in Reaper, each responding to a different channel, and switch back and forth from the controller itself.

Back