Advice on equipment

Gaviao

So I'm pretty sure which interface that I want (Tascam US-1641).

I have several microphones including dynamic and condenser... no ribbons though... yet :p

I now know that I need to get some acoustic treatment panels, bass traps being the most important. (Thank you for the responses to my last thread)

My next question is concerning mic preamps. In every studio setup that I read there is a mention of a mic preamp... so I'm assuming that they're pretty important. Giving that I'm just getting started and my budget is... well almost non existent... what are some preamps that I should take a look at?

Also what are your feelings on this one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TubeMP/

Thanks

The Tascam unit has preamps built into it, and I seriously doubt that any dirt cheap preamp will be a lot better. Just use what you have. In the $500+ range, you can begin to look at preamps that are significantly better than the 8 you already have. When you get to that point, start looking at Grace 101, FMR audio RNP, Joemeek twinQ. Then it goes up to Great River, and eventually to the (sticker shock) likes of Avalon, Pendulum, John Hardy, DW Fearn, etc.-Richie

Thanks! That's really good info to know. I guess I'll hold off on the preamp until I get into the good stuff.

I bought a US-1641 and sold it within a month. Latency was absoloutly atrocious. I bought a used MOTU traveler for 500$. The best piece of advice
I can give you is to stay away from the tascam and try to get a used MOTU or similar quality interface. You will thank me for sure.

John, did you use tascam with XP, or maybe you had only USB 1.0 on your computer? Tell a bit more of your experience, I'm very interested.:confused:

thanks in advance!

I've tried the Tascam FW and it seemed pretty fantastic but not a good measure of the US-1641 as you can't really compare tascam's fw to usb. The us-1641 gives you a wealth of inputs but most of it is put to waste. Past about 6 tracks running at the same time, overdubbing a number of tracks, you'll run into serious, unworkable latency issues. I ran it through a mac with logic express. It's a fine interface if you're planning on keeping the track count low but then why get something with so much I/O?

Right, I had usb 2.0. It's an 07 imac with which I have used two MOTUs, one focusrite and the tascam, the tascam being the only one that gave me the slightest of trouble... I am completely certain this was an issue with the interface.

Back