Advice needed for Songwriter looking for a publishing deal with a caveat..

Fenderville

I am a Songwriter looking for a publishing deal... I send to publishers that I have contacts with in Nashville as well as NSAI.

I record all my own demos and I also have a website.. The website is mostly just a contact page, news and a few mp3’s that I never intended to send to a publisher.

The advice or question is...

Is it a bad idea to post mp3’s of songs that you are trying to pitch to a publisher?

I like for family, friends and others to hear them but is publicly having access to them while they are being pitched a bad idea?

Thanks all!

I personally do not publicly post any material I'm presenting to publishers. On one hand, having your material out there in as many venues/forums as possible may increase your chance of someone hearing something they like may be a positive - on the other hand, I want the publishers to know that I'm serious about getting published/placed and I don't want to compromise that by over exposure. I prefer to play my cards "closer to the vest".

I've researched a little and I have never found anything to suggest that posting material your are pushing to publishers is "wrong" - I simply feel it causes bad Karma.

I've heard arguments both ways on songwriting forum, but not like it's daily talk or anything.

I would think if you had a song go on hold, you should pull it down from your site. Then if it gets cut, it's probably okay to put it back up and brag a little.

Good luck!!! :)

I would post them for publicity, then if someone steals them, sue them - for more publicity! lol, idk, it's a hard choice. I like to have my songs heard so I post them, but that's just me.

Back