Advice for new Studio

btref

Hey, I can tell that there are many people in this thread who know a hell of a lot about production and engineering. I don't have much of a story yet, I guess im just a starry eyed kid trying to make some hiphop music that people can enjoy.

So to be blatantly honest, I came fore some advice. I have been recording in a tiny closet on a yeti usb microphone using garageband to do all my post production (I know, it is very advanced :P)
But next year me and a few friends are getting a place together and we are setting up a studio, most likely in a medium sized bedroom.

I currently have a macbook pro running Logic Pro 9
I have a pair of M-Audio monitors
I have a MPD 32

So my real question is, what equipment do you veterans recommend I have a budget of up to $4000 - So, How would you spend it?

Microphone? (Ive heard good things about the Rode K2, Nuemann TLM 103 and the Shure SM7B - any other suggestions?)
Interface?
Preamp?
Acoustic treatment (basstraps etc.)?
Anything else?

Thank you for your time and input
-B

Can't go wrong with a nice Neumann mic! I would get an interface with preamps built into it for about $300+ just for convenience factors. With acoustic treatment, bass traps, almost every time, should come first. Don't be shy to spend a little more on the room's treatment because that will affect the sound a lot. You've already got a nice beginner setup going so everything you get after these things would pretty much just be upgrades from the old stuff.

Back