Advice for Interview as Sound Man/Engineer?

Somnium7

Noise Criminal
Really not sure if this is the best place to post this...

It looks like a management company with an artist who is negotiating a label deal wants to interview me as the full time sound man and recording engineer for their artist. :cool:

It has been ages since I worked in a real studio and even then I was mostly repairing stuff. Same for live sound, haven't done it in a dogs age. :confused:

Despite all that I am confident I can perform the job. However, the job interviews I am used to are for IT related jobs and I don't know what to expect for this interview. :eek:

Any advice is hugely appreciated...

TIA

In the entertainment industry, so much work comes from word of mouth and recommendations. I'm guessing they must have gotten your name form someone - so alot may depend on the credibility of that person.

When on the road, people are looking for a crew who are dependable (so if you are drug/alcohol free it may be a plus). In addition, people who can multi-task are always a plus. As an example, being the tour manager/FOH sound guy - is more valuable than only the FOH guy.

Confidence and the ability to suggest plenty of experiance......even if you don't really have it is often key to getting any job!!!

Good luck!!!

Thanks mikeh this is all helpful advice.

I'm guessing they must have gotten your name form someone - so alot may depend on the credibility of that person.

Actually, I kind of took the initiative on this. Really can't think of anybody who has anything good to say about me except my synth repair customers who all love me :D

One more thing... How much money should I expect/ask?

Money is subject to sooooo many factors. The tour budget of the artist, is a big unknown. Are you with a headline act, a support act, etc. What size venues are you working, etc. However, it also depends on things such as: who pays, for lodging, meals, per diems, etc. Are you on a flat weekly/monthly salary or do you only get paid per gig? The recording budget is often driven on how much the producer is getting, studio rates, etc. - the engineers pay tends to be lower on the scale (unless the producer is really insistant on a specific engineer. Other considerations, are you paid hourly, by session, etc. and are there points involved, etc. etc. It can also depend on the going rates in your local market, etc.

Much depends on what you need to justify your time and/or to survive. If touring, are you giving up a day jop? do you have famaily to support? etc.

I would suggest you wait and see if this goes that far - to where you are actually ready to talk money. If you get to that point - let them make the first offer. If you throw out the first number.....you are already negotiating against yourself (never a wise business strategy). However, in preparation, start thinking about what amount you think you want/need......that should then be a key factor!!!

Money is subject to sooooo many factors. The tour budget of the artist, is a big unknown. Are you with a headline act, a support act, etc. What size venues are you working, etc. However, it also depends on things such as: who pays, for lodging, meals, per diems, etc. Are you on a flat weekly/monthly salary or do you only get paid per gig? The recording budget is often driven on how much the producer is getting, studio rates, etc. - the engineers pay tends to be lower on the scale (unless the producer is really insistant on a specific engineer. Other considerations, are you paid hourly, by session, etc. and are there points involved, etc. etc. It can also depend on the going rates in your local market, etc.

At this point I know nothing about their budget. I know they are currently using a pretty nice local studio who's rates are published. Not a cheap joint at all. That at least gives me hope ;)

Much depends on what you need to justify your time and/or to survive. If touring, are you giving up a day jop? do you have famaily to support? etc.
Yes there is the family. I have been thinking about turning my equipment repair that I do on the side into a more serious business. I'm thinking that this band gig could help pay bills while allowing me to get my own thing off the ground. After all they won't be needing me 40 hours a week.

I would suggest you wait and see if this goes that far - to where you are actually ready to talk money. If you get to that point - let them make the first offer. If you throw out the first number.....you are already negotiating against yourself (never a wise business strategy). However, in preparation, start thinking about what amount you think you want/need......that should then be a key factor!!!

Yes. This is all very sensible. I guess many of the strategies I use when negotiating web development contracts will actually apply here after all.

Thanks again!!!!

Back