Adventures in Woodworking: The Workbench

blaumph2cool

So after absorbing as much as i could about guitar building and some general woodworking (including some great feedback from folks here), i finally got down to brass tax and began the actual journey.

After some time i decided on the Ryobi 2HP Plunge router. and so begun the sickness of buying more and more tools.

First order of business was to build a solid work bench.

Got to use my router first thing making the channels for the rod span joints.
IMAG0385.jpg

Here is my first jig so i could make the routes straight on the spans
IMAG0386.jpg

The bench top is 2 3/4" MDF laminated together. Drilling for the sheetscrews w/ countersync. I plan to drill dog holes leater so i spaced the screws accordingly.
IMAG0395.jpg

Glue on the top piece and then i spread with a paint roller for even coating. (actually used more than in the pic)
IMAG0396.jpg

And now I have a solid work space.
IMAG0400.jpg

IMAG0401.jpg

I still need to seal the top. I am thinking about just using a shellac and maybe putting some trim around the sides.

Good Job...:thumbs up:

Some bigger pictures would be cool..

Don't worry too much about sealing the bench top as anything will do. You will most likely be using a soft carpet cover or cardboard sheet over it pretty soon.:)

Apart from the bench dogs what else are you planning as built in vice or clamping if anything?

I fixed the images so they should be better now. (just started using google image)

plan on adding some hardwood in the vice so i won't mare my work while using the vise. More on that later.

I also have a small assortment of clamps, but i am learning that i need more.

I'll post some more pics of my tools and what i am working with, my main pieces are.

Plunge Router
7 1/4 Circular Saw
Hand jig saw
Dremal
Plam Sander
1/2" Corded Drill
18v Cordless Drill

one other thing...my first time using the router i was not prepared for the head-to-toe covering in shavings and dust i would receive.

Now i know why they use dust collectors. :eek:

Nice One! That should serve you well.

Good choice on the router. It's a solid tool for the price.

Yeah, that probably isn't a good idea.

Always keep your eye out for clamps at yard sales, flea markets, etc.

Clamps are good and you can't have enough. There are also a ton of ways to make clamps. I'll post some later, Klemsia clamps, spool clamps, you name it...

one other thing...my first time using the router i was not prepared for the head-to-toe covering in shavings and dust i would receive.

Now i know why they use dust collectors. :eek:

lol.... You ain't seen nothing yet..;)

Seriously keep an old vac handy until you can get a decent shop vac. I don't use one for routing anymore cos they just get in the way. I always use dust extraction though when it's airborne stuff and not wood chips.. Far more important.

Back