Advantages of "behind the drummer" overheads?

rtzstudios

What are the advantages (or disadvantages) of putting overheads behind the drummer as opposed to in front of the kit? Are there any reasons other than capturing more toms and less cymbals?

It all boils down to the room you are recording in, the kit and the drummers touch.
As you change the position you will effect the character

You have to place them and listen. There is no text book position
for this.

Or try this...

I´m not an expert, but I´ve tryed it.
Yes, it depends on everything.
Have you tryed one in front, one rear?
It´s not a side to side Stereo image, but it´s cool.
It gives a sense of space when well used...

PC

Or you can set them up diagonally (one over the drummer's right shoulder and one at about 10 o'clock) so you still have the left/right image, but the snare is centered in the mix when panned. I tried this for the first time the other day (got the idea from John Sayers/SAE site) and it sounds pretty cool. Only problem was I had to reposition one of my crash cymbals a little cause it was way too loud in the mix.

Like someone else said - it completely depends of the acoustics of a recording room.
However - you have to take great care with other than equally spaced from kit center overheads (like diagonals and fron - behind placement) due to phasing problems.

behind the drummer o/h

I like this position in my set up. I have a fairly small room with the drums centered between two absorbing panels with his back to the wall, no isolation in front of the kit.
This gives me as nice tight picture of the kit, drummers prespective, with the the drums relatively a little closer than the cymbals, less bleed than with over heads.
I want to try some over head panels to see if it cleans up the low ceiling effects. Haven't got there yet. :)
mixsit

Thanks for all the replies! The only reason I was asking was because I usually put overheads in front of the kit; but in another thread someone (Ed or Shailat maybe) mentioned putting them behind the drummer. I have heard of this before but never really tried it , so I thought I would ask was the advantages were...

Perhaps you are refering to a position called head Baffle?
Were the mics are positioned behind the drummer at ear level horizontaly, using the head as a baffle between the mics.

Back