advantage of outboard compressor over plugins?

Jotosuds said:
ok what are the advantages of an outboard/rackmount "real" compressor like RNC over plugins, like Waves?
I just encountered this very situation last night.
We were doing a quick mix of a grundge/retro band (if that makes any sense). Anyway, In the drums we were getting bleed on the snare from the cymbals and we tried to gate the snare to eliminate the bleed over of the cymbals. So we tried the WAVES gate but it would make the snare sound dull, so we went with the hardware one and it worked much better.

However, it is not always the case. If you are starting out, I would say get the hardware if you can afford it. The hardware will help you in the future understand the process and some of the mechanics of the audio chain.

There is no written rule that says one is better than the other, but a hardware device will probably cost more to perform one function that the software devices. For example the WAVES Gold Bundle and Plantinum Bundle ($1,000 - $1,500) will give you a bundle of tools for the price of one decent compressor or processor. Your choice.

Certain outboard compressors, to me, just have a sound or a vibe to them. There are just so many subltle non-linearities going on that are hard to replicate, I would imagine, using nothing but mathematical algorythms. And as for tracking with it .. I think it kinda' gives you a certain amount of confidence (to track with compression) and monitor it that way as you play. You hear things a little better. Over time, you can even kinda' start working the compressor a little.

You have to have a lot of confidence in the sound the comp is giving you, though, and to be able to know whether or not it's too much or not enough, etc. so you really have to put on the mixer hat early and listen and adjust as you track. You can still be conservative and ride the fader a little so you never wind up slamming it too hard. You could even do a separate dry track simultaneously so that you've got a safety on hand if you need it later.

Sometimes, it's good to commit to something. It gives you some confidence and direction ... and you know it's one last decision you're going to have to make down the road. This is how it's tracking and this is what's going to be on the finished product so I'd better like it.

what are the advantages of an outboard/rackmount "real" compressor like RNC over plugins, like Waves?

I've got two RNC units, and also have the Waves Linear multiband comp. What I need in a compressor is transparent dynamics control, not an added sound of its own. They're both good for that. So, that said...

Usually I record direct and process after, and I get a better result by processing in the box rather than going out and in again with more DA and AD conversions. The Waves multiband works better for me than any other comp I've used.

What the RNC is useful to me for is to do gentle peak leveling in supernice mode when I use close mic'ing (which I use less than stereo room mic'ing). For close mic'ing guitar, using it on the way in and then tweaking later with the Waves multiband gives me a better sound than just the software on its own. RNC's also a great for live sound.

Tim

I find my RNC very useful, outside of the way it sounds, for keeping a vocal in the right range and limiting peaks on the way in. I dial up the gain on my RNP to get a good presence and then use the RNC to keep the vocalist from clipping on the way in.

additional query: I have a compressor on my guitar multi effect processor. good stuff, not crap. The effect on the guitar sound is noticeable to me. All the sudden the guitar tone starts to go Metallica rubbery on me. If I record this and add compression to the recording, as opposed to the guitar effect chain, will there be less affect to the guitar tone? Will I get a more accurate/true guitar recording? and will the guitar track play nicely with the overall recording?

Back