Advantage of converting Midi To Wave

jazzbass12

Hi,
I am using Sonar 2.2 is there na advantage to converting my Midi tracks (using DXI) to wave? It seems as though I can route any effects thru the aidio track for any of my DXI tracks.

Thanks

jazzbass12 said:
Hi,
I am using Sonar 2.2 is there na advantage to converting my Midi tracks (using DXI) to wave? It seems as though I can route any effects thru the aidio track for any of my DXI tracks.
You save CPU-power by rendering DXi's to wave...

And you can run DX effects on them....like add a distortion or a delay (screw midi delays! They're ugly!)

Re phrase my question

With SONAR you dont need to mix the midi (DXI) tracks to audio first it does it for you when you mix all tracks to single (stereo) wave out.

I guess my question was it is better to do it this way or render each mid (DXI) track first. The only advantage I can think of would be better use of effects and
If I apply effects thru the DXI audio channel, because it is merely midi, I save hard drive space.

Thanks for yhe quick replies

RIch O

AlChuck said:
No advantage, but a necessity before you can mix your recording to stereo.
AlChuck, as jazzbass indicated, using a DXi eliminates the need to convert midi to audio before exporting. The conversion is done on the fly by the DXi, just as it is during playback.

jazzbass, since I started using DXi's I have left the midi intact and not converted to audio. I hadn't thought about saving hard drive space - although I assume that's true since you wouldn't have a wave file to store. My reason, however, is that it becomes much easier to do any tweaking of the part if you later find it necessary. Also it eliminates the midi-to-audio conversion step, which results in less work, and I haven't found a real valid reason for doing the conversion.

I assume that if you wanted to destructively apply an effect (to save processor power) you would need to covert to audio first. Other than that, I'd leave it as midi.

Yeah, I sort of knew that but I have not yet really used any DXi so it kind of slipped from my brain...

Back