Adobe Audition vs. Sony Vegas

the edzell

I was visiting with a guy who works at a local studio and offered to let me sit in on a mixings session.

We were talking about equipment and he said Adobe Audition is good for voiceovers but not for recording instruments. He said I needed to get Sony Vegas if I wanted to get the best recordings possible.

How much of this is opinion and how much is fact? Is there a big difference in recording quality between Vegas, Audition, Pro-Tools, Sonar and the other recording software? I though the sound quality had more to do with the soundcard, plug-ins and quality of mics than software.

the edzell said:
I though the sound quality had more to do with the soundcard, plug-ins and quality of mics than software.

Exactly right. Once you get into the realm of hard disk recording there's very little difference (if any at all) between two applications '16bit/44.1Khz' audio.

Try this:

http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion/

It's what I use and if you like it as much as I do it'll cost $80 to buy your own copy.

I recently downloaded the demo version of Adobe Audition and was quite disappointed in just how limited it is, especially compared to some other software packages available for a whole lot less...

Vegas is what I use, for audio - and video too. I think it's great. quick to learn, and you can pretty much do everything with it. Of course, it isn't for a pro studio - in that it is not a dedicated audio program and if you had 20 tracks simultaneously, you'd most likely have some latency with it and monitoring, etc. etc. but it is flawless for ANY homerecording, up to the ametuers i'd say.

Although there are folks running Audition (or CoolEditPro) as their main DAW, I don't think it cuts it for that. As an editor/arranger I don't want to use anything else - there is a tremendous amount of surgical audio tools in the 2track edit view, and as Audition1.5 now supports VST, there is no limit to what you can add yourself. For the price, I happen to think it is cheap even if you only use the editor. That's all I bought it for, in preference to Wavelab or Sound Forge.

As a multitracker, there are serious shortcomings with Audition, at least from my point of view.
No midi editing/creation (except you can bring in midi tracks and control via CC messages and have MTC sync).
No software synths, although you can re-wire in something else such as Reason for that.
No low-latency driver support - thus it does not support input monitoring of FX.
Recordings are made in a special Temp file first and therefore are not "saved as you go".

I think the Audition multitrack began life as an arranger/montage view. The program was/is popular in broadcasting and it main use is to put existing recordings together by program editors.

I'm not familiar with Vegas so cannot comment. For the most all-round Audio work I'd recommend Cakewalk Sonar myself although I'd still want an audio editor such as Audition.

edzell. i have to disagree with your friend.
the quality of sound you get is dependent on the quality of your mics/preamps or mixer/ and particularly the sound card convertors.

manning1 said:
edzell. i have to disagree with your friend.
the quality of sound you get is dependent on the quality of your mics/preamps or mixer/ and particularly the sound card convertors.

...And the summing bus of the software in question, how it treats the pan law etc....

All of what the original poster reffered to is opinion. My personal solution is Nuendo, but in general all of the software out there now is very capable, powerful, and usable.

shackrock said:
Vegas is what I use, for audio - and video too. I think it's great. quick to learn, and you can pretty much do everything with it. Of course, it isn't for a pro studio - in that it is not a dedicated audio program and if you had 20 tracks simultaneously, you'd most likely have some latency with it and monitoring, etc. etc. but it is flawless for ANY homerecording, up to the ametuers i'd say.

i beg to differ!!!!

i rarely ever touch the video side if it. vegas is an audio app with video features added on. sony is definately not marketing it right by calling it "vegas video". seems silly...

Back