Adobe Audition 1.5 RAM requirements

Bartman

I count on me
A RAM horsepower question for the PC experts.....

PC Setup

Dell P4 2.8 processor
512 RAM
Internal drive 60 gig
External drive via firewire 160 gig
Delta 2496 soundcard
Adobe Audition 1.5

I defrag both drives at least 1X per week. PC is optimized for audio to the best of my knowledge/ability....DMA enabled on both drives, optimized for background processes, start-up initiates system tray only, etc....

I've recently started to experience skipping/hanging during playback. The complexity of my mixes has increased, usually 20 - 30 tracks. Probably 50% of the tracks have at least one effect.

Is 512 RAM enough? I know I need to play around with the buffers some more, but past efforts with that have not yielded any better results. Any other suggestions.

Advice would be appreciated.

Bart

for optomizing the pc, check out musicxp.net
As far as skipping, i would blame it on outdated drivers, or power settings (hard drives turn off). But go over the checklists on that site, then see if the problem persists. you'd be surprised how many things you might have missed. It certainly changed things around for me.

Thanks

Thanks sepsis.

I'll give it a shot. I have not updated my 2496 soundcard drivers. The XP drivers should be current.

BTW, I have XP home Edition, not Pro.....are you aware of any advantages to making that change?

Thanks,

Bart

I don't think so but that doesnt mean there are any. I also use home edition. I always thought professional was for network intensive workstations... (although as you read, you'll learn that network workstations are generally set up for faster file access). I'll just say i've expirienced no issues using xp after i went through the guidelines.

In the latest Recording mag there is a review of a bespoke recording computer, and the reviewer said that they wasted $100 on XP Pro when Home edition was perfectly fine for recording. I believe the only advantages of Pro is that the networking facilities are more extensive. As far as file handling, there is no difference. Don't worry about Pro. I have Home edition on my recording box and there are 0 issues.

I also ran AA 1.5 for a long time with 512MB of RAM without problems. I recently bumped up to 1024, but there's been no noticeable difference. In fact, I did it mainly because I figured that, with faster/more RAM outfits, the next upgrade will require something more, so I went ahead and did it. I usually max out at about 17 tracks, but typically I use fewer (I mostly record acoustic folk stuff).

I don't know if you mean playback in the multitrack view or just in general, but if you are applying effects via the FX parameter envelopes (non destructive) rather than going via the wav editor, it will eat up RAM and slow things down a lot.
Also, you might want to take a look at OPTIONS/SETTINGS and then the SYSTEM tab. You may want to increase the buffer size.

Issue Resolved

Issue Resolved by:

- Optimizing PC per the link above. Basically de-prioritized or disabled non-music functions to facilitate more system horsepower to AA.

- Changed Mix Guage settings in AA 1.5 as follows: Mix priority setting changed from "high" to "super high". "Mix ahead 10 seconds" changed to "MIx entire session".

My buffer settings are still at AA default values. Some changes there would probably help, but I don't want to mess with anything else right now since I have a 30 track, somewhat heavily effected session playing back & recording without a hitch.

Thanks to all who helped out on this one.

Gary

Another Solution

For Some Users I Used To Use A Non Strong Computer
But I Used To Save My Arrangement In Non Effect Mode Then I Do Changes In Edit Window Its Faster Than Usin A Real Time Effect Cause After Mixing Sometims You May Find A Littel Jump In The Mixdown And Also In Main Wave File And It Is Not Recoverabel

PS-2205-YCHO said:
For Some Users I Used To Use A Non Strong Computer
But I Used To Save My Arrangement In Non Effect Mode Then I Do Changes In Edit Window Its Faster Than Usin A Real Time Effect Cause After Mixing Sometims You May Find A Littel Jump In The Mixdown And Also In Main Wave File And It Is Not Recoverabel

The Way You Type Is So Bizarre That It Gives Me A Headache And I Don't Feel Like Reading It. So I Didn't Read Your Response.

I M Not English Man
I M French And Is Not A Shame That Somebody Try To Share Knowledge
With Other Peoples Any Way Thank You For The Reply
Rfp;rr

Back