Adobe Audition 1.5 Question (Since it used to be cool edit)

SilverSurfer

I just got this software and I am wondering what's the easiest way to alter volume levels on various clips.

Like when the vocals come in, drop the rest of the instruments by 3db or whatever the norm is. I have a bunch of areas I need to change the volume on but I have like 4 tracks for every main track that I need to keep their ratio (Lead is -5, second -10, 3 and 4 are -20, panned L and R by 60).

Ideas?

<-- I'm a nOOb to recording so forgive the silly questions.

Spaztic said:
I would read up on volume and pan envelopes

Nod, I saw that. The problem is figuring out how to do it with multiple tracks. Like I don't want to change their ratios to each other, just their overall volume throughout the range I select.

Thanks!

You can do it with envelopes (and 1.5 is more versatile than earlier versions, which only allowed you to lower volume) or by selecting a clip (or part of a clip) and going to Effects/Amplitude/Amplitude to raise or lower the level of the sound. There's no automated way of doing it, and in fact you'll find that much of mixing involves precisely where you put the levels of the different tracks.

Ok so I still have to do it manually? That's fine. But is there a way to do it on GROUPED tracks instead of every one of them individually? I can do it, it's just a long process, that's all.

Mix the tracks down to another track, mute the originals and bypass their effects to reduce CPU load, then draw the volume envelope on the new single track.

ozpeter said:
Mix the tracks down to another track, mute the originals and bypass their effects to reduce CPU load, then draw the volume envelope on the new single track.

Ah I see what you're saying. Mix the 4 vocals to ONE track, then mix those 4 down to 1 so I can adjust it easier that way. Didn't think of handling it that way. Good idea.

Back