Adjusting the reverb of multiple tracks..

maxabillion

Hey so I wanted to add reverb to my drum tracks (which are 5 separate tracks of kick, snare, hat, ride, tom) to get them to sound far out back in the "room", and I looked up on here reverb busses, but I don't understand how to use them. If I send them all to an auxiliary "drum" track for volume control, nothing shows up on the aux track, it just shows a signal going into it, but no "chunks" of music to select/alter. So how to I set reverb to the auxiliary drum track to affect the set as a whole, instead of having to set reverb for the individual pieces separately? Im using Protools 9.

Thanks!

If you want to put reverb on the kit as a whole (not usually how it's done) you can make a submix group bus and insert the effect on that. Create your aux track, set its input to a bus and set the outputs of all the drum tracks to the same bus. Insert the reverb on the aux track and use its controls to balance between the dry tracks and the effect.

If you want to have some control over how much reverb each drum track gets then you make an effects loop. Create an aux track, set its input to a bus. Add a send fader to each drum track and assign it to the same bus as the input of the aux track. Set the reverb to 100% wet. Use the send faders to control the difference in reverb on each track, and use the aux track's fader to control the overall reverb level in the mix.

O ok, thanks guys. So I just select the aux track (By clicking on its name?) and then I should be able to affect the reverb as a whole?

If you use the normal effects loop routing you control the amount of reverb with the aux track fader.

If you use the abnormal reverb-on-the-group method then you use the wet-dry balance control in the reverb plugin.

Back